Canister light opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On one hand I'm thinking the same thing your thinking (Someone just doesn't need a lot of light.) But on the other I have this feeling that people want a lot more light but just can't shell out the money.

I'm trying to find out really what the number is for minimum light. I'll shamefully admit that I have done dives carrying 3 Intovas and have felt that was enough light in the dark. I have a 9w LED can light that I made that I also feel puts out enough light in most situations. Still when I fire up my 21w HID I just love all that light. So really any light is enough for me.

I'm looking for my "entry level" light to not be something that people settle with and plan to upgrade. I want it to have enough light for all dive situations, and be affordable.

I"m also wondering if LED is just better at the lower wattages. The brightness levels are close and they are MUCH cheaper to make. I have opinions but I don't want to go making 10 lights based just on that.

I'm also working on some neat little backups that I'm trying to price for $50.

As I said earlier, I have a 12 watt LED. I used it throughout my cave training in Florida, and I was just fine with it. I might have been happier with a 21 HID, but I have no way of knowing that.

It seems alot of people getting into the tec/Cave money not being an issue may go with thw 10watt HID and then later if they decide sell that and move up to the 21watt HID. Unless there have some one guiding and giving there recomendations. But it seems if you can do the 14 at pretty close to same money as the 10 sounds like a Plan. For the LED I see them as being limited. as for here in the North east and less then tropical waters most like HID to get through the murky not so clear waters plus the ability to focus them is very nice. If it's a concern you could always to do 1/2 -1/2 HID-LED.

I think I'm going to build 14w HID to go along with my 21w. They will probably sell for around $450-$500 in 5 hr burn time with Li-Ion. I'll let everyone know when I get the prototype running. I can use all the same components from my 9w LED and just redo the head a little to fit the 14w and ballast.

Sounds like a good plan. I'd also test the crap out of it! Every time I hear people talk about how good the customer service is at company A or B I think that I'd prefer to own a light and have no idea of what that company's customer service is like!

If I was starting a business like that I'd do whatever the market needed as you are doing with the 14W HID but I'd also be perfecting my led line starting at the lower end so that you are ready as the market and technology changes.

For robustness it's hard to beat led. With the proper optics the competition with HID's is going to intensify.

Last edited:
I have a 21W HID and a 10W LED.

If I had to choose, I would select the 21W, although I probably actually use the 10W more often.

Ultimately I'd rather have more light than I need than the other way around.

Jeff

Sounds like a good plan. I'd also test the crap out of it! Every time I hear people talk about how good the customer service is at company A or B I think that I'd prefer to own a light and have no idea of what that company's customer service is like!

Man, do I agree!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom