Cave training with Harry Averill? Experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colliam7

Tech Instructor
Staff member
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone done Cave with Harry, or Tec with Harry? I am interested in what the experrience was, as my buddy and I are looking at doing Cave with him next month, and would like feedback on what to expect.

There was a thread about a year ago (March 2009) started by Medic0506, and several people posted very positive comments about Harry as an Instructor. I would like to get some details on his appraoch and how he goes about Intro and Apprentice.

Has anyone done Cave with Harry, or Tec with Harry? I am interested in what the experrience was, as my buddy and I are looking at doing Cave with him next month, and would like feedback on what to expect.

There was a thread about a year ago (March 2009) started by Medic0506, and several people posted very positive comments about Harry as an Instructor. I would like to get some details on his appraoch and how he goes about Intro and Apprentice.

Harry is a very experienced instructor. I have not taken classes with him; however, I worked with Harry at TDI on several projects and have a very high respect for him as a professional educator. He understands the physiology of teaching and learning extremely well, and has been diving caves for a long, long while.

If you had taken the course a year ago you could have probably hopped into Cow with him without an NSS tag :D

he's one of the few instructors that gets to teach in upstream cow. so if you're into that sort of thing go for it

Harry Averill is a top dog . He's been training divers forever. His specialty is cave. He trained many of my friends and students to cave dive in the 1990s and they all have nothing but great things to say about him. Learning to cave dive from him puts you in a special league.

Good luck

Cheers
JDS

Harry is a great guy, but he almost got a good friend of mine in a lot of trouble after taking him in part of Cow that he shouldn't have, then blamed my friend for it. This relates to SuperBugMan's and Litehedded's comments.

Also, as with any dive buddy, ask him if there are any important medical history details you should be aware of before you descend.

Also, as with any dive buddy, ask him if there are any important medical history details you should be aware of before you descend.
Agreed. I just recently printed emergency contact #'s as well as insurance info (Dan and BC/BS) so that I can hand it to new dive buddies. I think it's incredibly important to know these things before getting in the water.

I also saw where Harry is offering zero-to-hero in gear that the student has never even dove before (sidemount). He must be one heck of an instructor, if I didn't have full cave already I'd give him a call!

I will say that Harry is a fine instructor, and great diver. Harry is a friend of mine and I don't think you will find a better instructor period. Harry did have some medical problems, but since has gotten them under control. I have had the opportunity to dive with Harry a few times since he returned to diving and I have not seen any issues that would cause problems.

Harry is a great guy, but he almost got a good friend of mine in a lot of trouble after taking him in part of Cow that he shouldn't have, then blamed my friend for it. This relates to SuperBugMan's and Litehedded's comments.

I think there is more to this story, that you may be leaving out, from what I was told.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom