In what order should I buy my equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My suggestion is regs first. My reasoning is that I don't like putting community regs that have been in hundred of others mouths in mine. Especially people I don't know. But also its one of the most crucial pieces of gear since it alone provides air to you underwater and reliability is second to none.

I agree, regs and BC were my priorities. I went with my computer next. I do have a 3 mil suit I purchased for my trip to Aruba. I will need a thicker suit or a dry suit next as I will probably be doing more dives in the North East at this time. Tanks would be last.

I live in Hawaii and while a few brave souls go without suits, the rest of us are much more comfortable in a 3mm or more. Some even go with a 5mm. What are you moving to Hawaii for? School?

I'm moving to follow my dream, really. I've been wanting to see the world for a while now and I figure now is the best time to do it. That and a girl totally ripped my heart to shreds... so, haha. It's really a mixture of everything I'm going through at the moment and who I am. The perfect storm :)

I will be going to school out there though. I might try for film (documentaries) or continue with my EMT/Paramedic stuff. I haven't decided yet. It's a really exciting time for me.

Oh btw... thanks for all your help, guys. I think I'm going to go with a reg first seeing as how I jsut got a 70 deductable on equipment at my local shop. BCD will be close to last. I'd really like to try some out before making a muy expensivo purchase like that.

I really appreciate all this help. Thank you all so much.

If you dive in 70+ degree water, you don't need the most expensive regulator set. The super premium regs cost extra as they have cold water features. Folks debate which BC is best. You might as well try a variety of them before you buy.

Suit ownership has a fast payback. Around here suits rent for $15 daily, and a popular discount suit sells for under $100. You can do the math.

Have fun with it,

Stu.

I would suggest mask snorkel fins as the first thing.

Second I would suggest a regulator setup with an spg. I would wait till you get to Hawaii to see what the local dive shops carry and go with one of their brands as they will be able to service your setup easier. While most dive shops can service most regs, it would probably be better if you go to a dive shop that services the brand that you dive with all the time.

Next I would go with a BC. Since you are a new diver, I would suggest trying to rent a few different types, jacket, back inflate and backplate and wing before making your purchase.

A lot of people stress good thermal protection. From my dives in Hawaii, I would think the protection would be nice but not an absolute necessity like diving in the California current. You can always go cheap and get a full wetsuit at the local sporting goods store for waterskiing or surfing. This will get crushed at depth after diving it a few times, but will still act nicely as a 1-2 mm dive skin that should add some comfort. If you find that this is not enough, you can get a nicer one for winter months and keep the crushed one for summer months.

Checkout scubatoys for a wrist mount dive computer. They just had a sale on the oceanic nitrox geo that I purchased for 250. The sale may stil be going on.

If you want to be cheap, you can always get the bc and computer on ebay and a wetsuit where ever. The only thing you want to go to the LDS for is the regulator setup as service will be cheaper if you get it at the store rather than ebay.

My advice(since I am also on and have been on a budget) Be opportunistic, always be on the look out for used equipment. So far Ive been lucky and found;

Seaquest Pro Qd BCD half price(seller bought it for a cruise then put it on ebay)
Sherwood 1st/2nd stage and hose for 50.00 off craigslist
Prosub octo for 2.50 from a thriftshop
US divers wraparound mash 2.00 from a thriftshop

Don't be shy about asking to test/have a dive center look at something before paying. The seller of the Sherwood set up had no problem with me having it a few days before sending payment. Right now Im on the lookout for a set of gauges/dive computer, last items I need.

I bought all of my gear on sale so the market dictated what I bought first. My class reguired that I have my own mask, fins, snorkel and booties. I bought the fins and snorkel on eBay back when you could still find deals there and I had the booties I used for surfing. I bought the mask at the shop because I wanted to make sure it fit.
My next purchase was a cheapo wetsuit that I bought $140 and sold on eBay for $120 with about 15 dives on it so it paid for itself.
I bought my first BC again on sale for $120 (It was a two year old model).
I ended up buying the regulator that my LDS rents out and had a coupon from a dive mag that gave me a free octo when I bought it.
My point here isn't to just give my history but it's like any market the best time to buy is when you don't need something and the best time to sell is when you don't have to.
I also "saved up" for my gear by asking for gift certs to my LDS for Christmas, Father's Day and my birthday.
I don't mean to sound like a cheapskate but with two young children and a new house that needs to be remodeled while starting my own business you definitely have to watch where the dollars go.

I usually recommend the stuff you don't like to share first...wetsuit, reg, Octo/Alternate, BCD.

I look at it as why do I want to put on a wetsuit others peed in, shove a reg that someone may have thrown up in, etc.

As for hawaii...lol...yeah, sure...dive without and see how long that lasts. I love hawaii and I still dive with a minimum of 3mm. I even go with a 5 - 7 depending on how long I stay down and I never regret it.

The order I went with was:
Fins Mask Snorkel - Basics needed to dive
Wetsuit, hood and gloves - Prefer to wear my own exposure protection.
Computer - means you have a consistent depth, temperature and time measure, and can use any set of regs
Regs & BC - bought on sale.
Other equipment - torches, slates, etc. as needed for dives.

Starting to think about buying a tank, but there are now a few factors in working out what I am going to do.

you have already a wetsuit ... good.

here is my list:
Knife .... it feels so cool to walk around with a knife strapped to your ankle :D
Mask & snorkel
Fins
Regulator
Flashlight
BCD/weights (test out few BCDs before you buy one). Getting your own BCD is very important to achieve the perfect buoyancy control / trim.
Dive computer(s)
Tank(s)
UW camera
Rebreather :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom