Technical Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Some people in my area are considering a trip to Cozumel for technical diving. None of us have any experience with tech diving there. I have done a search and found some threads that mention it here and there, but not a lot. I have identified several shops that offer it. I would be interested in experiences and recommendations from technical divers who have used some of these operators.

I know my cavern instructor, German Yanez, does technical diving and technical instruction on Cozumel. But I don't think his approach to things would suit you very well; he's absolute pure Buhlmann, and if I recall, 100% is his only deco gas.

What kind of dives are you guys looking to do and what will you be using? They do have some Cenotes in Coz but Playa del Carmen has a lot more to offer.

What kind of dives are you guys looking to do and what will you be using? They do have some Cenotes in Coz but Playa del Carmen has a lot more to offer.

Just exploring possibilities right now. We have a diverse group. A couple of full cave, a tech instructor, several UTD tech 2, several UTD tech 1. We are just looking at possibilities in various locations.

I think AG used this Dive Op for one of his Tech/"Monkey Dive" Trips a while back:
Cozumel Diving with Deep Exposure Dive Center Cozumel

I've stopped by and looked in and was satisfied with the tanks, gear & scooters' set-up that I saw (2007).

Technical Dive Trips:

(Plus cost of gas for guide and diver)

Trimix to 200 fsw $ 100.00
Trimix from 200 to 300 fsw $ 160.00
Cave tour (Cozumel) 1 dive $ 80.00
Cave tour (Mainland) 2 dives $ 180.00
Private Technical Charters P.O.R.

Technical Equipment Rentals:

Single Tank with "H" Valve $ 15.00
Double Tank w/manifold-isolator $ 20.00
Deco tanks 40ft3 w/ stage rig $ 15.00
DIN Primary Regs $ 10.00
DIN Stage Regs $ 10.00
Back plate, harness and wings $ 20.00
Primary Light $ 15.00
Lift Bag $ 8.00
Safety Reel $ 5.00

If you are up for it, I HIGHLY recommend getting hold of German and doing some cave diving on Coz. The caves there are very different from the ones on the mainland. They are silty, and not as pretty (at least what I saw) but they have a TON of life in them, and much of it is unique to those caves. And German has made part of his career out of studying and recording the life forms, so he's very interesting to talk to. He's a really, really nice man, and fun to spend time with. I just don't think you guys would be happy doing open water tech dives with him, because the philosophies are too different.

Back
Top Bottom