Woman dies during scuba dive off Wilmington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Woman dies during scuba dive off Wilmington
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
News Alerts to your Email & Cell Phone
Breaking News 7am Headlines Noon Headlines 4pm Headlines Video Alerts
Wilmington, N.C. — The U.S. Coast Guard said a 50-year-old woman died while scuba diving off the North Carolina coast Saturday.

The StarNews of Wilmington reports the woman died as emergency medical workers and her diving companions tried to resuscitate her.

The Coast Guard would not release the woman's name and referred calls to New Hanover police and rescue officials who did not return messages Sunday.

Coast Guard spokesmen said the woman was found unconscious in the water about noon Saturday. The Coast Guard sent a boat and a New Hanover County emergency medical technician to help.

---

Information from: The StarNews

Do you know who she was out with???

Do you know who she was out with???

I know both Aquatic Safaris and Outer Banks Diving (who bring their boat down in spring and fall) cancelled their charters. The conditions yesterday where pretty rough and I'm a little surprised anyone made the call to go out.

A 50-year-old woman died Saturday in a diving accident in the waters off Carolina Beach, officials say.

The woman came to the surface unconscious around noon, and efforts to save her by both her diving companions and authorities were unsuccessful, according to Ensign Caleb Peacock, public affairs officer for the U.S. Coast Guard’s Sector North Carolina.

The incident occurred 25 miles southeast of Masonboro Inlet.

A Coast Guard boat from the Wrightsville Beach station was sent to help, and brought Lt. Jon Mauney, an EMT with Wrightsville Beach Ocean Rescue.

When they arrived other divers were trying to save the woman, and authorities gave her CPR as they brought her in toward Carolina Beach.

The woman died during the rescue effort. Peacock said the U.S. Coast Guard has a policy of not releasing victims’ names. The Coast Guard is investigating the incident. New Hanover County sheriff’s deputies were called to assist with the investigation. It is not unusual for deputies to investigate unattended or accidental deaths, said Sheriff’s Office Spokesman Charles Smith.

How very tragic. The ocean was mighty snarky Saturday, I too would be surprised if any charters went out, perhaps it was a private boat. Please add details as they are available.

The woman who died was visiting the area from Hagerstown, MD. I'd rather not post any more details as the circumstances are not yet known.

She was diving with Cape Fear Divers.
Kind of surprised anyone made it out, our trip in Morehead City for Saturday was called & rightly so.
I hope it wasn't pushed to get out seeing how far they had come from.
It is never worth the risk. I was really looking forward to our trip, but the Capt. made the call & it was the right 1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom