Hello from Sydney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichardN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks,

I have been lurking here for about a month now, sucking as much knowledge up as i can.
I have started snorkeling recently and i have also taken a liking to spearfishing, but i am very ecological in my doing, i will not spear an easy target just because the opportunity is there. i will only take what i need and not just kill everything that passes the spear.

I am going to start my PADI OW course soon via their E-learning system so i can dive with a work mate.

I mentioned i liked diving at work and a coworker turned out to be an avid diver and a padi instructor, so he will be teaching me how to dive safely and help me gain my certifications.

I want to share my underwater experiences with others in order to show them the beauty of the sea and everything in it.

I purchased a marine housing for my digital camera on ebay and although its an old camera it is a start and its better than nothing.

I love this site and i hope to be a respected member of your community in the future.

Cheers,
Richard N

Welcome to ScubaBoard, Richard!! There is alot of good information out here. Enjoy your learning and diving....you are in a wonderful place for it!!

Richard, welcome to SB. And may I say Sydney's a great town with a stellar aquarium.

I dived The Heads (day boat) and Manly (shore entry) when I was there on other business a few years ago. I was impressed by the friendliness of the dive shops, the boat operators, and my boat buddy (who turned out to be a retired Oz Navy diver).

The Cuttlefish and the Dusky Whalers (C. obscurus, gotta love that name) were the highlights for me. I wish you good viz and low current!

-Bryan

thank guys, i snorkel at manly (fairy bower) alot and i practice breath holds as its the only way i can get down without my OW cert and scuba gear (i dont own scuba gear yet)

i have looked for the dusky whalers, i was looking yesterday actually, but i fear they may have been killed by $&#%^&% fihermen that have set lines JUST outside the exclusion zone.

see:
manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/caught-fishing-red-handed-at-cabbage-tree-bay-aquatic-reserve/ ]Trio caught fishing at Cabbage Tree Bay Reserve - Environment - News | The Manly Daily

Disturbingly, Mr Sharp said there had also been recent reports of set lines just outside the reserve’s boundary, and a day later the heads and tails of dusky sharks had been found on the sea bottom.

“I believe all sharks are meant to be taken in whole by commercial fishermen,’’ he said.

“We haven’t seen the usual appearance of duskies in the park this year. Perhaps this is why.’’

i fear this is why i havent seen them yet.
very sad news.

is there anywhere on the net i can get a feel for the padi e learning or the padi course without buying it first?

i just want to have a look at the sorts of things they teach you, so i know i will be able to grasp the concepts when i start the course in a week or so.

if i had known i was going to enjoy spearfishing and breathhold diving so much i would have bought a low volume mask. my tusa visio tri-ex squeezes the crap out of my face and requires heaps of air from my lung to compensate.. its a PITA.

this is the gear i have. i dont have much but i think i got a good baseline to improve on. any comments are welcome.

Tusa SF-8 X-PERT ZOOM Fins - silver
Tusa M-31 VISIO TRI-EX Mask Translucent
Tusa SP-200 HYPERDRY MAX Snorkel in Flash Yellow,
Neptune ?? Full boots
Adrenalin Stealth 3mm Steamer wetsuit- reef camo(cheapie = not that great)
Scubapro Mako Knife
My fathers 40 year old weight belt with just 2 weights on it. i find that is enough to get me down, but i still float up at a reasonable speed.
i will add more weight so i can be perfectly neutral so when i take photos they dont turn out rubbish..

i have a sony DSC-P8 i bought in japan in 2003 and i just got the marine housing for it on ebay for 71 bucks. not the best. but its a start. :)

i want to get out there now. i just want to be under the sea haha

i have looked for the dusky whalers, i was looking yesterday actually, but i fear they may have been killed by $&#%^&% fihermen that have set lines JUST outside the exclusion zone.
Cripes. Hope that's not the end of the story.

is there anywhere on the net i can get a feel for the padi e learning or the padi course without buying it first? i just want to have a look at the sorts of things they teach you, so i know i will be able to grasp the concepts when i start the course in a week or so.
If you're about to start the course, don't you have a student manual already? Usually you're expected to have studied the material at home before showing up for the first session.

if i had known i was going to enjoy spearfishing and breathhold diving so much i would have bought a low volume mask. my tusa visio tri-ex squeezes the crap out of my face and requires heaps of air from my lung to compensate.. its a PITA. this is the gear i have. i dont have much but i think i got a good baseline to improve on. any comments are welcome.
My spare mask on cold-water dives is a Cressi Minima. Picture a pair of swim goggles with an attached nose pocket. It's the lowest-volume dive mask I've ever seen.

-Bryan

First post Hi.

I love my tusa mask! It's the only one that doesn't hit my broken nose and still seals to my face. It is admittedly high volume.

yes i like mine too, but i would prefer a lower volume.

updates..
i bought
Beuchat Focea 2 7mm wetsuit
Beuchat elaskin gloves 2mm
Waterproof Orion boots 6.5mm
Beuchat weightbelt - plastic buckle

, so im ready to go for winter!

Hey guys and girls,

although i have been absent for the last 6 months, i have just completed my PADI elearning OW course, and i start the 4 days of in water training and diving on tuesday in Forster, NSW on holiday with my girlfriend who is also my diving buddy and she is doing the course along side me.

i am really happy i am doing this and i cant wait to get out there next week.
so in other words,
IM BACK BABY!
frank-costanza.jpg

and now i am certified, and hooked!
i had to buy a new mask as i was having trouble clearing the tusa, so now i have a cressi matrix.
scuba is so peaceful and calm. i love it!

Back
Top Bottom