Maui - Your Favorite Top Picks & Water Temp in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're headed to Maui in July 8-18th ... looking to hear your favorite top picks on the following.

Dive op
Topside must do or don't miss
Favorite dives
Off the beaten path

Also, what should we expect in July for water temps? I am cold natured and my wetsuit is worn out, so I am trying to decide what new wetsuit to buy. I dive most places in the Caribbean year round (Spring, Summer, Fall, Early Winter) in a 3mm and 3mm chin strap hoodie. I was diving in a Pinnacle Seal, but it doesn't seem to fit me as well anymore - tight on the legs and too roomy in the middle/core. My husband dives in the Caribbean year round in shorts and a dive skin shirt and rarely gets cold. I am wondering in July if he might need a bit more in Maui.

Aloha!

Dive op-I always use either Lahaina Divers (Lahaina) or Mike Severns (Kihe) depending on where I'm going. There are other good ones though, too.

Topside don't miss- The road to Hana, Haleakala

Favorite Dives-Molokai, Molokini, Carthaginian

Off the beaten path-I'm not much good in this department. In July, I usually don't need much more than a shorty. Your husband might be okay here in similar attire.

A 3mm full with booties is what I wear year round for diving in Maui. Never get cold. But that's me. Most of the divemasters on the boats wear 7mm full, but they are diving everyday year round. Get yourself a copy of "Maui Revealed" in my opinion is the best book on everything Maui. The authors are divers, pilots, hikers, etc. Very candid reviews of everything including dive ops. The best $15 you'll spend for your trip. Have a great time.

We're B&B fans for Molokini.

We never miss McDonalds topside.

Shaved Ice sort of fills in the gaps.

Most of the divemasters on the boats wear 7mm full, but they are diving everyday year round.

:no:

I know 2 guides here in Hawaii that just wear board shorts and a rash guard shirt (ScubaDrew and Matt on ProDiver). I only know of one guide that might be in a full 7 mm, in winter; there are a few combo suits (ie; 4/5/6's). I think it is possible most guides in Hawaii are wearing 5 mm (and quite a few 3 mm hoods).

Agreed, 7 mm seems a little much for all but the thinnest divers. I go shorty in the summer without issue while the rest of the time I have a 4/3 that keeps me toasty enough. Have fun!

I dive my *extra* thin 3/2 full suit all year round and it's not bad at all. Helps to keep the lead count low too. Temps are about 78 and climbing...it sure has been nice the last couple of days!

We were in Maui in October. Had a great time with B&B Scuba. That is in Kihe. It may depend on where you are staying. And yes...Molokini Crater is a must....very nice dive. The road to Hana was not a big thrill for us but Haleakala was. Lahaina is nice too with the giant Banyan tree. We went to a luau in Lahaina which was also very nice. Off the beaten path....we drove a good ways past Lahaina to a place called "Dragon's Teeth" They were awesome lava formations. It was near a pro golf course and we found it in a guide book. And we wore 3mm suits in October and were very comfortable.

I dive a 3/2 during our summer trips to Maui and my wife and son (both chill rather quickly) use their 5's.

The topside question may be easier to answer depending on the part of the island you are staying. I assume that if you are planning on plenty of shore diving, you will be looking mostly at West Maui during the summer. During the summer, Honolua Bay is MUST (IMHO). Humping the gear in can be a pain, but it is shallow enough that you can get by with a 63 and still get over an hour of bottom time. You also "have to" dive Mala Ramp. We also love Black Rock (day and night) but we stay in a condo in walking distance of it, so parking isn't a problem. Get there VERY early to get one of the handful of beach access parking spots at the Sheraton.

I personally never pay for a guide on a shore dive, but you may want to consider someone like "Shaka Doug" if you want to do a southern site in the summer. The conditions can be rough in that area in the summer and having an experienced local could be a smart move. The word on the board is that he is fun to dive with too. (P.S. I have never met or spoke to him, I am just suggesting based on what I have heard.)

For boat diving, my family and I also like Mike Severns in the South. They let you dive as long as you have air and will just send people up the line in pairs as their air runs low. (My son gets 90 plus minute dives with them.) They are very education oriented too, making for interesting briefings and surface intervals. We had fun with Lahaina Divers in the west (Cathedrals). It is more of a cattle boat, but the crew was very friendly, the food was good, they don't keep too tight a leash on experienced divers, and a big boat can be appreciated as you make the crossing. Extended Herizons also has a good reputation in the west, but they had a substitute crew when we dove with them and we were very dissatisfied.

Topside: Walk the boardwalk in Kaanapali, any time of the day or night. There is also a nice walk that starts a Kapalua Bay park (nice easy dive too) and heads north. Check out "the Dragon's Teeth". The road to Hana has already been mentioned, but the loop around West Maui is also interesting. It is an island, so eating is no bargain. We found a couple places that we feel are very good for the price 1) TJ's Comfort Zone in Kaanapali and 2) Lahaina Coolers in Lahaina. We always rent a condo and stock up at Costco to save money. They do sell local food at the local Costco, so you can eat like a local. For fine dining, a conversation I overheard and agreed with: "They are all about the same quality. All overpriced and of average quality. All very similar."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom