Costa Rica Help Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We are traveling to Costa Rica on May 5th and are looking to go diving. We are staying near Ojochal on the western coast and would like to be able to dive Cano Island. Any suggestions on where we should book?

BeamOfSunshine,
the nearest dive shop there is Mystic Divers in Playas Ventanas.
Mystic Dive Center in Costa Rica offers scuba diving

You may consider a 2 or 3 day stay in Bahia Drake to enjoy diving at Isla del Caño, some primary rainforest tours in the deep jungle and dolphin watching. Accomodations there run from 30$ to 300$ and you can reach it easily from Sierpe by a very scenic boatride or if you have a 4x4 by car in a very scenic jungle trip.

Have fun there!

Chris

We love Ojochal! Where are you staying? At Cinco Ventanas there is a dive op, can't remember the name, they go out to Isla Del Cano on a semi-regular basis. Kumari is a good DM. Crocodive is also in Ojochal but I have never been able to find anyone there.
Drake bay is also great, Corcovado Adventures tent camp is a real treat. Also much closer to Cano.

We are staying in a house on Playa Tortuga. A lot of places said we'd need to stay at Drake Bay, but we've already paid for accomodations and are renting a car. We were also looking at Mad About Diving and Southern Expeditions since Mystic Divers is closed while we are down there.

I dived Isla del Cano with Oceans Unlimited a couple years ago. They are located in Quepos.

Looking at your options - it appear you have three within reasonable proximity: Southern Expeditions, Oceans Unlimited, and Mad About Diving.

Southern Expeditions is closer to get to, but they launch their boat from Sierpe, which is quite inland, and takes 1.5 hours in their van to get there from their location in Domnical. Then they take you on a 45-minute boat ride down a river before they even hit the ocean. They don't tell you how long it takes to get to the island from that point, but it appears to be about 1/4 the distance that it takes Oceans Unlimited, in Quepos. So you need to get yourself to Dominical, which is about halfway between Ojochal and Quepos (going in the OPPOSITE direction from Sierpe) by 6:00 am...or, you can drive yourself to Sierpe (on windy, poor back roads) and get there by 7:30 am to meet up with the boat. At that point you'll have breakfast, board the boat at 8:00 am for the 45 min. ride downriver, then however long it takes to get to Isla del Cano (I would estimate 30 minutes but I could be wrong on this).

Oceans Unlimited departs from their location near the dock in Quepos at 7:30 - no long van ride, no boat ride down the river, just board their boat and go. Their website says it takes about 1.5 hours to get to the island, but it took us a little over 2 hours - although we left later, so the waves had kicked up more than they do earlier in the morning. Quepos is a straight shot up Hwy 34 from Ochotal, but you should probably allow at least an hour to get there - but it's all highway. So you leave Ochotal at 6:15, arrive in Quepos before 7:30, and get right on the boat for the trip to Isla del Cano.

Mad About Diving - their website appears under construction, so I don't know anything about them!

Having done Isla del Cano with Oceans Unlimited, here's what we can tell you: their boat was not particularly comfortable (hard bench seats) and the ride to the island was pretty brutal (2 hours of solid pounding through big waves, no protection from the huge sheets of spray from the bow hitting you square in the face), but that experience was condition-dependent - it might not be so bad if the conditions were better. We were unhappy with them for booking our elderly friends to come along with us to snorkel while we dove, which they couldn't do after having their kidneys and backs pounded in the boat for 2 hours! They have since put a disclaimer on their website that reads "This is an average journey time, can be longer depending on wind direction and conditions. We make every effort for the comfort of our passengers, but we would not recommend this trip for the elderly or very young (minimum age is 5 years old), please contact us for more information." And they reimbursed us for their trip, so kudos to them for that.

The boat also has no head, so we had to stop mid-trip for the guys to pee off the back (not very accommodating for the gals! :wink:).

But once we got to the island, the diving was FANTASTIC! And we LOVED our DM. We live in SoCal where divers are expected to be self-sufficient and dive with their buddies, and DMs don't go with you as guides, so we usually dislike diving in destinations where the DMs expect you to dive in a group and stay with them like little children, and make us all end the dive when the first person breathes out their tank. But this DM handled things differently - he did expect us to stay together, but he made sure we were all buddied up. And as people breathed out their tanks, he'd send them to the line to do their safety stops, and allow the rest of us to continue. In fact, when my husband breathed out his tank before I did, the DM actually sent him to the line with another couple who were also finished, and continued the dive with just ME! It was a really unusual DM-led dive experience, and one I really appreciated. Most DM-led dives that we've been on around the world end sooner than we'd like due to noobie hoovers in the group. :wink:

And the diving was great! HUGE schools of fish, reef sharks, lots of big eels, and rays. In fact we saw a couple of devil rays get snapped at by a shark and take off like shots - that was pretty cool! The vis was really good, better than I was expecting. It's not warm-water Caribbean diving and brilliant corals, but there is a LOT of life under there to see. Very worth it.

Don't know if this missive helped any, but good luck! We're currently planning our THIRD trip to Costa Rica, this time to Playas del Coco, which we haven't been to yet.

In Drake Bay, Jinetes de Osa always seems to get good reviews from our customers here. One of our old instructors is working there at the moment.

You will like Playas del Coco...
And Hello to Ocotal Diving. Here is what you will see..... PICT0048.jpg

Hello Lee Anne,

How are you? I just enjoyed reading your review on Isla del Cano and noticed the fact that you're planning a dive trip to Playas del Coco. When will you be there?

I'm diving at Rich Coast Diving in Playas del Coco at the moment and have to tell you the diving is awesome!!!!! If you're here before November and you're an experienced diver you should defenitely pay a visit to the Bat Islands. The viz, the Bull sharks, the Manta's, it's great!!! But local diving (within 20 min. by boat) is also worth doing. Even though it's rainy season, that doesn't say anything, in fact the summermonths are said to be the best months of the year when it comes to viz. And there's so much to see on local dives too, white tip sharks, turtles, different kinds of rays (sometimes in huge schools), seahorses, nudibranches, murayeels, the amount of fish in general will surprise you.

Depending on where we go, our boats go out between 7.30 and 8.30 in the morning and are back around 1 pm. (a little later in the afternoon when gone to Bats) We always go for 2 or 3 tank dives to different dive sites, with at least an hour surface interval in between which gives you the change to have some fruit, cookies, drinks, enjoy the sun (or the shade, we have enough tomatoes in the country already) and , most of all, have lots of FUN!!!!

Playas del Coco is a small fishermens town with a fair amount of beach- and nightlife, but if you'll decide to find accomodation outside of Playas del Coco, we'll be more than happy to arrange transportation on your days of diving.

Also, we can help you organise tours apart from diving. Let us know if you would like some information on canyoping, rafting, mudbathing, horseriding, mountainbiking and so on... The sky is the limit...

If there's anything I can help you out with, don't hesitate to contact me.

Enjoy!!!
Zindie

Martin and Brenda van Gestel
Rich Coast Diving Co.
PADI 5* IDC center
Rich Coast Diving - Costa Rica Diving and Adventure
richcoastdiving@windowslive.com
dive@richcoastdiving.com
Telephone: +506-2670-0176

Hi Zindie,

I've already been emailing with Brenda...we're going to be diving with you guys for four days in December! Unfortunately the season rules out Bat Island, but we've asked Brenda to arrange for a trip to Catalina so at least we'll get that.

I'm glad you posted - it reminded me that I haven't yet sent in my deposit, which I will do right away. Thanks for the reminder!

We're going to stay at Rancho Armadillo, and as it turns out, we'll have a car. We have friends who live in Costa Rica (Orotina) and we'll be staying with them for several days before we head up to Playas del Coco, and they're loaning us their car. So we'll be fine for transportation. Our plan is to dive on December 28, 29, 30 and 31 - one of those days we'll do Catalina, and we will also want to do at least one night dive.

So we'll be seeing you in 6 months!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom