suunto vyper advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buleetu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi all

im just looking for an opinion on the suunto vyper,just bought one and ive read on the forum that its already pretty conservative but theres a choice of 3 levels,i have put it at level 2 as im quite unfit,but i dont have any of the other indicators the booklets mentions e.g cold water etc.. im diving in the red sea to max 18 metres on nitrox 28 with the computer set to air, do u think i have to have the conservatisim set to this level for this kinda diving

thanks for any advice

david

One thing to consider is who your diving with, if your buddy is using a sensible algorithm/set up and you've gone over conservative, you'll be calling the dive on the basis of non deco time while your buddy is still happy. Then again, if as you say you're 'quite unfit' it may be more likely that you'll run out of air first whatever your dive computer setup is....
Of your logged dives, how may ended due to air supply, how many to non deco limits?

My family and I all dive Suuntos - 2 Gekko's and 2 Vypers....

In my view they are reliable easy to use computers........

They are more conservative then other computers but in my view that is not a bad thing......

Enjoy diving.......:eyebrow:

M

thanks for the input, my dives end when i get to 50 bar,,all dives 50 mins and above yesterday ended the dive with 80 bar in the tank at 61 mintues but my guide ended the dive because he got to 10 bar,but he started his dive with 100 and me on 200 bar max depth was only 14 metres, most of my buddies are using aladdin computers and the guides all on mares computers, im not gonna run close to ndls at that depth for 60 mintues diving anyway am i ??

No, you're not going to hit NDLs at those depths/times

I would set it at 0 for the diving you describe, as you say they're fairly conservative already

A0/P0. Suuntos are extremely conservative. Pad if you feel you need to but not set on the computer.

hi all

im just looking for an opinion on the suunto vyper,just bought one and ive read on the forum that its already pretty conservative but theres a choice of 3 levels,i have put it at level 2 as im quite unfit,but i dont have any of the other indicators the booklets mentions e.g cold water etc.. im diving in the red sea to max 18 metres on nitrox 28 with the computer set to air, do u think i have to have the conservatisim set to this level for this kinda diving

thanks for any advice

david

The Suuntos are already conservative so there is probably no need to add to that. Just stay well hydrated and don't do anything stupid.

It should be noted that the new Oceanics have an algorithm which is similarly conservative to the Suuntos. The era of liberal Oceanics is over.

Adam

As a diver that has used a Vyper for about 2 years I would agree with the above, I have noticed that other divers doing the same dive as me seem to get to the NDL before me but can not remember what they use.

I use mine pretty much every day and its a work horse, the only issue I had with it has been easily resolved by removing the battery

thank you to everyone, im gonna re set it later on, its my first computer and only getting used to using it,, before i just went along with what the instructors were doing because i didnt fully understand what was going on with the computer on my wrist,of course i understood ndl,but the first time i got a 5% cns warning i just about freaked out,its good to be in control of my own dive and not relying on the instructor to "look after" me,really happy i got on e now thanks everyone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom