Rescue in a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the others. Use your drysuit and more importantly now how to complete a proper rescue with your buddy in a drysuit. Once or twice being dragged across the ground isn't going to wreck it, especially if it's a mud/dirt shore. It adds another element of complexity and makes it the most realistic....just the way life might be.

Plus, one of the funniest things that happened on our class was the DM acting like the panicked son running to the rescue of the victim father. I was shore support and needed to physically intervene. I had to hold him back and in the process knocked him down...with an open drysuit in 50F water in the snow. Priceless.:D

this is a good question I have just recently completed my DM and rescue course back in october. In october I wore a drysuit had no issues with it in the area of wear and tear. Both me and the other guy in the class both had them on. I would recommend it if you are going to be in colder water 67-and lower if it is cold outside. If t is warmer on the surface than you will like temp in the mid to upper 70's than you will want to go wetsuit since most of the action is on the surface.
Then just a couple of weeks a go as my first DM dive I was assisting with a rescue class water wasn't to bad but the air temp was cool and windy I wore a wetsuit and I as so cold.

you need to judge it mostly on if the air temp will be higher or lower. Depends where you are and when you take it. if it is going to be warm dive wet if it will be cold dive dry.

hope this helps

I did today in the drysuit. A lighter undergarment would have been nice, but I did fine. I worked my butt off on the two missing diver drills though. On the first one, I was the snorkeler and on the way out, one of the divers had a mild panic issue and I had to take them in (real not planned). Came out with another diver and then she had gear issues and couldn't dive once we got to the site. Being the snorkeler, I didn't think to put on gear, I just grabbed my mask/fins/snorkel, and went. This was a mistake and cost us our first victim. Eventually, a DM came out to make sure everything was OK and accompanied the other diver as a safety to go find the missing diver. She found our expired diver, brought him up, and started the surface swim back. The other diver got tired so I got to push them while they attended to the victim. Lesson learned - don't assume other divers are capable of making the dive. Put your gear on and be ready to take charge if needed.

For the second missing diver, I grabbed my gear and was appointed diver by the person in charge and off I went right back out on another surface swim. I bet it was close to 200 yards or maybe a little more. Down we went, we recovered our unconscious diver and began to bring him back. The other diver gave breaths and swam and I pushed to get him back to the shore faster.

At the end of that, I'd done 4 long surface swims in the drysuit with a heavy undergarment. I was tired, but I survived and so did victim #2.

did mine in drysuit, they are a bit bulky, but warm! we do ours at stoney cove and pull our "victim" out on the slipway. one or 2 little scuff marks but nothing dramatic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom