Maui - Your Favorite Top Picks & Water Temp in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It all depends on where you are headed. Lahaina Divers seems to have the boats to access the more remote Molokai and Lanai, while Mike Severns does a stellar job explaining the interesting biology of Molokini. Lahaina Divers is a long boat-ride from Molokini. People here seem to like Shaka Doug's shore diving guide service too, although I've never used him.

For our first time on Maui, any preference between the two? (Lahaina Divers v Mike Severns)

Also depends on where you staying. If on Lahaina/Kanapali side - Mike leaves dock at 5.30, and the drive is about ~50 minutes from Lahaina.

Personally I had very good experience with Lahaina divers, very friendly and professional staff, nice boats, nice dives.

Aloha. I have been visiting Maui for the past 10 years. I would highly suggest starting your dives with Shaka Doug. You will get some great shore diving in and get the true feel of the aloha spirit. I highly recomend taking a scooter tour with him. He is simply the best. For boat dives, all of the above recommendations are rather strong. I prefer Dive’n’Sea with John and Amy for a more personal touch. Topside, the road to Hana is a long, long drive but truly worthwhile. Go the end at hike to the furthest falls. You will cut through a bamboo jungle that should not be missed. A trip to Maui, for me, is not a real trip until you have a double trouble at Cheeseburgers in Paradise, either spot. Going back myself in early June. Can't wait!!!

Aloha!!

There is a lot of good shore diving on Maui, if the weather is cooperating (which at that time, it ought to). I love the Mala Ramp dive -- shallow, lots of structure providing habitat for a lot of life. Fun swimthroughs, too! The entry is a bit of a pain.

But some of what one would recommend depends on where you are staying, as the drive from the Lahaina/Kaanapali area to the Kihei/Wailea area is about 45 minutes, or worse in traffic. This also has an impact on which boat operator to recommend.

We stay in the Kihei area, and use Mike Severns when we boat dive. I think they are very good for experienced divers and people with a particular interest in the details of the endemic species of the islands. I like B&B for less experienced divers.

You might check out Home Page for some information on shore diving sites. As I said, the shore diving is pretty easy in good conditions, but if you are not used to shore diving or diving without a guide, Shaka Doug gets extremely good reviews from people who go out with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom