If I should die while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very well put. I'm pasting this on my desktop to remind myself of the inherent dangers of the conditions with which we enjoy. Regardless of the amount of time we spend with masks on and regulators in our mouths. This serves as a reminder that complacency can led to disaster. Thanks for the post!

Good post. I will use this. I will also do my diving as safely as possible, and hope to live a long time, with many many more dive adventures.

I am very new to diving, and this is one of the first posts that I encounter. haha. I'm glad I saw this. I'm kinda reckless in everything that I do, so this will really help. By the way, does anybody here know the top death-causing incidents in scuba diving?? Much appreciatation to those who can help! :D

I am very new to diving, and this is one of the first posts that I encounter. haha. I'm glad I saw this. I'm kinda reckless in everything that I do, so this will really help. By the way, does anybody here know the top death-causing incidents in scuba diving?? Much appreciatation to those who can help! :D

There are actually very few when you boil it down. Look at a few pages of threads in this forum and I think you'll get the picture better than muddying this thread with that discussion.

Haven't read such a reflective thread in a long time. Engaging.

Even though I'm late on this one I feel the following is appropriate. Surprised it hasn't been posted here before now. Kinda sums up my feelings and may well do the same for others:

If I Should Die Beneath The Sea

If I should die beneath the sea -
What e'er the circumstance may be -
I only ask that you not cry
For such a lucky one as I.

But, rather, weep for those alive,
Who know not what it is to dive
Into the planet's liquid heart,
And of God's ocean be a part.

For even Christ must envy all
Who stroll along the ocean's wall;
Though wind and sea His will obeys -
He only walked upon the waves.

And may I ask for one thing more?
- A simple cross beside the shore.
Below my name inscribe for me:
Lost to the earth, but found at sea.

Carson Ray... 1989

Stay safe,

Seadeuce

Working in Law Enforcment I think I will adapt a version of this to go in my "bad day folder".

If I Should Die Beneath The Sea

Seadeuce, thanks for posting this. This thread is fitting, since I am updating my will! I dive alone most of the time, while my wife tends boat. She recently expressed "concern" about this, even though I have been diving this way for decades.

I don't know that "if" I buy it diving, I'm going to feel all poetic about it. In my last few seconds, I suspect I would feel angry for screwing up, and annoyed because I know there will be a lot of people saying "I tried to tell him" or "It was just a matter of time...".

None the less, it would sure beat wrapping myself around a bridge abutment on my way TO a dive...

I guess if I can't go in the arms of a couple of 25 year olds when I'm 96, then diving would be the next best way! :D

Just to learn how someone died is not a right of the diving community. Unless a family wants to conduct an investigation or the death is suspicious in some way, there is no mandatory reason for autopsy and even if there was one, divers should not presume that they have some right to that information. They don't.

Too often, members of the community think they have some special right to information about accidents on the theory they will learn from it. Such a right does not exist and even if it did, the privacy interests of the family prevail over it.

As an aside, this board is full of incredible speculative analysis of accidents based on none or very little information - often hearsay. It is hard to believe the dive community, on a board like this, can benefit from such information.

Sleepdiver, I didn't see the OP say anything about others having to share the information of their dives. Uncle Pug posted their own thoughts and desire that information from any possible accident he might be in e found and shared with the dive community

I'm glad I saw this. I'm kinda reckless in everything that I do, so this will really help. By the way, does anybody here know the top death-causing incidents in scuba diving??

Recklessness. :D In my experience, most accidents that are not the result of some underlying health conditions (i.e. heart attack with diving) tend to be the result of carelessness in one form or another.

Diving isn't inherently dangerous, but the consequences of reckless behaviour can be catastrophic. It isn't an especially forgiving activity.

If you truly are reckless, you should consider taking up golf. Part of the pleasure of diving is the preparation and planning of the dive and the satisfaction of executing the plan well...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom