Which Dive Knife is Best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaZoozle

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking for a reliable dive knife. I looked at alot of websites but there is alot of mixed reviews. I need someone to give me a few brands that are reliable. And maybe like from $20-$60. Thanks

In order to offer advice, please let us know where you typically dive, what you like to do while submerged, and if you have any preferences other than price.

There are so many options available to you.

Chug
Uses a Wenoka Blackie Collins Titanium dagger to stab sharks, giant squid and cut tie wraps.

Without leading you to a specific knife, I'd recommend titanium- it costs a little more but is more resistant to rust. You can also look for one with a line cutter.

you can make your own with an old steak knife and make a sheath with heavy webbing. Super cheap & easy and who cares if you lose it. Shears are nice too. I've had the same ones for years.

... the one you still have :wink:

if you do get one that has a plastic sheath with a knife lock , make sure it's one that works :shakehead:

One other tip ... that new knife that seems so sharp, test it, maybe on a plastic tie ... you may be surprised at how much effort it takes and then sharpen it if it does not cut as well as it should

you can make your own with an old steak knife and make a sheath with heavy webbing. Super cheap & easy and who cares if you lose it. Shears are nice too. I've had the same ones for years.

+1

Wish I heard that before I spent $ on the knife.

Shears are great ones as well!

"Best" is really subjective in a dive knife. As was said above, if you gave a profile for a typical dive it might be easier to make a suggestion. The old steak knife suggestion has a lot of merits as well. You can get a package of 6 for a few bucks at almost any grocery store. Knives are one of the most lost items .

I am a little new to scuba diving and i have dived in cresent bay and redondo beach. like 5 dives in total. In about a week we are going to go to Corona del mar(i dont know what its like there)

I like knives with flatter handles with a grip, full tang, blunt tip. One of my friends i dive with uses his for opening urchins and cutting through kelp, the kinda things i wanna do. So maybe one that is durable and easy to handle. and titanium from what ive heard.

One of my friends i dive with uses his for opening urchins and cutting through kelp, the kinda things i wanna do. So maybe one that is durable and easy to handle. and titanium from what ive heard.

If somebody were to have to use a knife to cut through kelps then that person needs to learn how to handle kelp.

Want a good knife that actually cuts with ease? Here's one. Keep it in your BC's pocket and whip it out when you need it.

Pacific Salt Yellow FRN - Plain or SpyderEdge Blade

I buy all my knives on epay exclusively. USED You can get a wide variety of choices from as low as 5 to 25 bucks. not if but when you lose it, easy come easy go. If you ever use your knife you will probably lose it sooner than later. When stressed with an emergancy the additional task loading of losing that 100.00+ knife is just not worth it imho.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom