nitrox and maximus reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgscuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My LDS informed me that i need to purchase a "nitrox upgrade" for my brand new maximus reg in order to use it with recreational nitrox. The upgrade is $150. However, everyone on here emphatically denies that I need to upgrade my reg for anything under 40% o2.

The LDS is an authorized sherwood dealer, are they trying to rip me off?

thanks!

My LDS informed me that i need to purchase a "nitrox upgrade" for my brand new maximus reg in order to use it with recreational nitrox. The upgrade is $150. However, everyone on here emphatically denies that I need to upgrade my reg for anything under 40% o2.

The LDS is an authorized sherwood dealer, are they trying to rip me off?

thanks!

Don't forget to upgrade your BC, pressure gauge, and octo too.....

please PM me the name of the shop I really want to know who is selling this

Easy choice, listen to what you have been told and save some money or go spend it, my advice is save some money, and maybe even find a new LDS

The only upgrade I did to my Maximus was take it off the air tank and put it on the Nitrox tank! If its properly serviced there should be no problem up to 40%. It`s time to find a new LDS!

Last edited:
quote from an earlier post from a sherwood rep:

"Out of the box the Magnum reg is not Nitrox Ready. There is a kit that you can get at any Sherwood Dealer, and they can install the kit. The whole thing should cost you about what it costs for an annual service.

Good diving,

Sherwood Rep"

So if i just wait until i need an annual service the cost should be the same for "converting to nitrox" as the annual service, is this correct? The nitrox readying would be in lieu of an annual service?

I've got the nitrox annual service kit and the regular annual service kit. As I recall, there is one part between the two kits that has a different part number. When I took my nitrox class, they told us that every reg is OK up to 40%, but the comment from the Sherwood rep has me wondering why this isn't true with Sherwood.

My Blizzards never needed anything "special" for EANx.

There are 2 Sherwood Regulators that are able to be used with Nitrox up to 40% out of the box. These are the SR1 model SRB1000 and the New 2010 Brut model SRB9110. All other Sherwood regulators require the Enriched Air Kits to be used for use with Nitrox. As you can see, there are divers that choose to use Sherwood regulators (not designed for use with Nitrox) with Nitrox without having these kits installed but it is not recommended and could be a potential hazard. The owner's manuals for each product will advise the diver if it can be used for Nitrox and the SR1 and New Brut clearly address this issue in the manual. The owner's manuals for the other Sherwood regulators do not specify they can be used with Nitrox so they need the enriched air kit. Each of our service kits come as standard air kits or enriched air kits for use with Nitrox. The item # for the Maximus Enriched Air Kit is 4000-4N. If you want to use a Maximus for Nitrox, please have an authorized dealer install the 4000-4N.
Safe diving,
Sherwood Scuba

There is no reason to ever upgrade a regulator that is basically clean if all it is going to see is EAN-40 or less.

Or buy the kit if you really want one. Use simple green and an ultrasonic, download the manual for free from frogkick, and install the kit yourself. I will never buy another reg that I cannot get parts for myself. Black market, grey market, psychedelic market, or from the manufacturer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom