Environmental pros and cons of artificial reefing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm getting involved in projects to create artificial reefs here off Santa Catalina Island, CA. Years ago I was not in favor of artificial reefing due to environmental concerns, but with changes in the procedures to prep such vessels, I now see a number of benefits and far fewer concerns.

I performed a search on the subject here and did not find threads that specifically addressed the environmental pros and cons of reefing in general. The threads I did see wer project-specific.

I would greatly appreciate it if ScubaBoard members would consider this thread an open forum to discuss both the pros and cons from their perspective. It could be very helpful in this effort. TIA.

Great topic DrBill. I personally love the idea of the artificial reefs. Even though the process is long and very expensive, when done correctly it provides a wonderful home to new corals, fish, and divers. It can also become a large financial asset for the area that provides diving / fishing charters out to the new "reef".

The only downside I can see to it is the cost associated with the cleaning process.

I am astounded at the lack of response on this question. There are threads that go on endlessly about wanting to see a tank explode, MOF vs NMOF, DIR, etc., etc., yet almost no one has an opinion on this issue???

I have one Bill. I like the idea but like any good idea, the red tape is virtually insurmountable and only those with the patients of Job have any hope of seeing a project through for inception to sinking.

The cleaning thing is a rouse. They could dump the fuel, pump out the oils and really bad stuff, remove the stuff dangerous to divers and cut some big holes in and sink it in a much shorter window and certainly more cost efficient than keeping it afloat for years.

I'm generally against them. We are better off energy wise recycling the metal (steel or aluminum) than sinking it and having it irreversibly lost. Other than diving, I don't see much utility for them. As far as enhancing fishing opportunities (if we really feel we need to do that) there are other less environmentally expensive opportunities.

Just a side question - can artificial reefs be made from object other than old vessels?

I think creating artificial reefs is a great idea but using vessels seems like a waste of resources.

Just a side question - can artificial reefs be made from object other than old vessels?

they sink bridges and other stuff (army tanks, railway box-cars) - but they are not as much fun to dive on as an old warship.

I was under the impression that it was cheaper to reef an old warship than to scrap it (not sure where I heard that though), but does seem that all these reefing projects take many years and costs lots of $$ due to the red tape - must be a more economical way of doing it or streamlining the process.

For fishing and diving (and then related industries of hotels/restaurants etc) they are great for the local economies.

Last edited:
+1 for the reefs.

While there is some debate as to whether the AR's aggregate fish or increase numbers, that makes no difference to me. A new AR is going to have fish life on it. That in turn increases numbers of divers and fishermen visiting, which helps fuel local economies. That alone gives them a useful purpose in this economy. I am lucky to live in an area where there have been ships sunk as AR's since the 70's and they are still drawing fishermen and divers. Each has its own character and appeal.

While I enjoy the historical aspect of diving a "real" wreck. AR's are so much more diver friendly they run a close second.

Depends . . .

Anyone read that Hawaiin story where the ship dropped "Z-block" concrete blocks . . . but missed the sand and pretty much ruined a perfectly good reef?

Seems like there wasn't enough 'red tape' on that little episode.

I think creating artificial reefs is a great idea but using vessels seems like a waste of resources.
The issue for me is the ships the government currently owns just sit in mothballs until they sell them (for peanuts) to a private contractor that scraps them for a pretty decent profit and generally sends the scraps overseas.

When the sink a ship as a reef, tourism jumps in that area considerably. The money stays here. The ocean benefits as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom