Anyone been deeper than 100' at WP lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, 1 day can change a lot!

The vis today around 60' was not nearly as good yesterday due to all the classes stirring up the muck. I'm wondering if there were other divers down there before you who stirred it up? I have also seen where it's crystal clear down deep, you'll swim into almost zero vis, then a few feet later it opens back up again. Paulw and I did a lot of dives down at the deep end of the pecan grove last year and we saw a lot of that.

3 actually (I use a mask light plus my 2 intova backups). However, reading a compass was the reason I was there and was not going to be easy with just them!

Don't use a mask light myself for reasons,,,,,,I don't understand why reading a compass with a hand held torch is a issue, done it many times, know harder than using a canister light.

The vis today around 60' was not nearly as good yesterday due to all the classes stirring up the muck. I'm wondering if there were other divers down there before you who stirred it up? I have also seen where it's crystal clear down deep, you'll swim into almost zero vis, then a few feet later it opens back up again. Paulw and I did a lot of dives down at the deep end of the pecan grove last year and we saw a lot of that.

Channel catfish can stir up pockets of silt big time.

Don't use a mask light myself for reasons,,,,,,I don't understand why reading a compass with a hand held torch is a issue, done it many times, know harder than using a canister light.

All the cool kids are using mask lights

Channel catfish can stir up pockets of silt big time.

The catfish are definately out in full force. I have seen some pretty big ones in the past couple of weeks and they are not shy. I had one swimming with me along the grottos about a week ago like a puppy waiting for me to feed it.

All the cool kids are using mask lights

I don't think so. Have you ever tried looking into the eyes of someone wearing a headlamp or mask light? Not cool at all. :no:

I was solo so no issue with anyone looking me in my eyes. Normally when I have a failure, I turn the dive. I just spent the dive exploring the wall instead until I built up the planned amount of deco and then finished the dive as planned. No big deal for me!

I only wish it was a can light that failed, still saving for my 35w HIDs (need to buy 2, one for me and the wife). I just have a light cannon rigged with a goodman style handle.

I don't think so. Have you ever tried looking into the eyes of someone wearing a headlamp or mask light? Not cool at all. :no:

no, why would I?

If I'm doing face time I cover it or turn it off

Just because you put a light on your mask/helm doesn't mean your going to blind everyone you look at, it just means you gotta be smart and realize you have a light on and not blind your buddy with it, same with the big HID's, you don't have to be hitting them with the beam to be blinding them, gotsta use your noodle.

If your diving with a buddy that has a mask light and insists on putting his face in yours knowing he has a light on his mask I think thats a different issue, which could probably be corrected through conditioning, for example every time you get a light in your face kindly remind your buddy that they have blinded you by removing their mask, I bet eventually you won't get blinded anymore!

I've done a couple dives where a mask light was an invaluable tool, and I do other dives where I never turn it on, I think its a good tool to have in the tool box.

I was solo so no issue with anyone looking me in my eyes. Normally when I have a failure, I turn the dive. I just spent the dive exploring the wall instead until I built up the planned amount of deco and then finished the dive as planned. No big deal for me!

I only wish it was a can light that failed, still saving for my 35w HIDs (need to buy 2, one for me and the wife). I just have a light cannon rigged with a goodman style handle.

Ahh yes the blessing and the curse, love to share the hobby with the one you love, but paying for it sucks

The blessing part just kicked in today, she agreed to make a trip to Marianna in 2 weeks, meaning I have a person to split the driving with and to do the dives I want to do with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom