Trim "obsession" and Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Later, we talked about how hard it was to see the crystals above us, just below the overhang, and how much of a better field of view we would have had if we were not in horizontal trim. We joked about the fact that we had become so intimidated on the subject by the nature of our instruction, as I described earlier, that we could not even accept the possibility of going out of trim when diving on our own.

As an educator, I would tell a teacher that if students don't seem to know something that they should, ask yourself when you taught it and how well you taught it.

Couldn't just stay in trim and roll over on your back? :blinking:

You also see people <only> diving doubles - I guess cause that's how the cool kids dive? And other such nonsense. IMHO more "DIR" people should go monkey diving just for the attitude shift more than anything else.

The saddest part about the whole thing is that, in internalizing the command to remain always in horizontal trim, one loses some of the grace and joy of being free in three dimensions. And some of the gear choices one makes to ensure that horizontal trim, can make it almost the only comfortable position in the water! I can remember doing a PADI dive with my husband during his DM or AI class -- I don't remember why we were doing it, but we were doing a search and recovery dive, and whatever we had to do, the instructor wanted us in a vertical position to do it and I discovered I was very unstable in a vertical position -- my gear kept wanting to pull me over on my back. Heavy tank, heavy weights, and almost all of it behind me -- no problem when horizontal!

When I work with students in the pool, one of the most fun things is to go all Uncle Pug on them, and swim head down, on my back, do somersaults, and otherwise just revel in being weightless. There is no reason not to do that kind of thing, when the conditions of the dive permit it and you are so inclined. I've seen video of tech divers at 250 feet doing barrel rolls with the scooters :)

getting a little nutty in the water column is a good way to take the edge off on a big dive IMO

When I work with students in the pool, one of the most fun things is to go all Uncle Pug on them, and swim head down, on my back, do somersaults, and otherwise just revel in being weightless.

Yeah, in warmer, clear water like Hawaii, its fun to hang at 20 feet doing a stop basically head down and spin around to watch stuff under you...

Difficult to pull that orientation off in double-130s...

I agree with the concept. The question I originally posed (actually just quoting Lamont) is why do people not seem to understand this.

as an instructor, how would you measure "control" over position - in objective, quantifiable way? To my mind, you need a fixed reference to measure variation away from.

I guess that people fixate on the measure, rather than what the measure is doing?

You also see people <only> diving doubles - I guess cause that's how the cool kids dive? And other such nonsense. IMHO more "DIR" people should go monkey diving just for the attitude shift more than anything else.

Yeah, I love diving in a single tank rather than the twins...

as an instructor, how would you measure "control" over position - in objective, quantifiable way? To my mind, you need a fixed reference to measure variation away from.

I guess that people fixate on the measure, rather than what the measure is doing?

People fixate on the measure (xyz degrees) rather than the WHY. (anti silting, access to gear or buddy, surface area for smoother ascent, dumping gas, inertial, etc)

As far as I can tell, even GUE has lost track of the why flat trim at the T2 level.

Great Discussion!
At the beginning it is important for a new diver to be relentless in their pursuit of perfect horizontal trim. Critical and honest, team and self-evaluation are necessary in achieving the muscle memory where a balanced, controlled and horizontal foundation become the instinctive go-to position. This is an Essential, Fundamental skill that all divers should work at until it is mastered.
The ability to hold unwavering, perfect trim is the goal for a beginner. But it is the ability to cleanly and effortlessly break this perfect trim when the environment demands it that separates veteran and rookie divers. There are many times where perfect horizontal trim is the worst position to be in, however for a recently DIRed student, they will never be able to cleanly break trim if they are still struggling to keep trim and that is why the emphasis is there.
Eventually these students will continue their education and their experience building and see what great diving really is. Unfortunately you can&#8217;t really begin to experience all that DIR has to offer unless you already are DIR. That&#8217;s where the real magic begins.

The ability to hold unwavering, perfect trim is the goal for a beginner. But it is the ability to cleanly and effortlessly break this perfect trim when the environment demands it that separates veteran and rookie divers. There are many times where perfect horizontal trim is the worst position to be in, however for a recently DIRed student, they will never be able to cleanly break trim if they are still struggling to keep trim and that is why the emphasis is there.
Eventually these students will continue their education and their experience building and see what great diving really is. Unfortunately you can’t really begin to experience all that DIR has to offer unless you already are DIR. That’s where the real magic begins.

James,

Thanks for this. It makes sense. When does UTD begin to teach when it is appropriate to break trim?

When does UTD begin to teach when it is appropriate to break trim?

When the situation demands it.

In Essentials, in the pros/cons of trim we discuss when trim is appropriate and not as well. However, for Essentials, we're focused on building the correct foundation - law of primacy. As such, 99% of the video and physical feedback regarding body position will be getting a diver in horizontal trim.

For most students, breaking horizontal trim is encountered at the technical class level. For example, in cave, horizontal trim can induce silting when going down an incline. Parallel to the sloping floor is more appropriate. You give a good example in a technical ow class.

There are many reasons why horizontal trim is so strongly stressed. However, if you need to break trim, then you need to break trim. But as others stated, it needs to be an active and appropriate decision.

It's a slippery slope though. If you say, "it's okay to break trim," some people take it as a pass to not be in horizontal trim in the first place. And in the long run, that'll be a detriment to their diving.

Last edited:
Trim is a tool. The problem is that people don't have the tool (i.e. don't know how to get into trim), or don't know when and how to use the tool. It isn't something to obsess about, but it is certainly something to work towards.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom