Looking to go from Advanced to Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im looking to do my dive instructor courses, can people recommend any companies anywhere in the world. The cheaper the better!!

If you decide that you truly wish to teach diving, you have to ask yourself what do you have to offer an employer or the student. Regardless of the training that you receive, what does the finished product look like?

There is a large difference between the perception of what a professional diving instructor does and the reality. This will obviously vary from one location to another and will depend largely upon the need and the individual employer. Remember that not all diving instructors teach at a resort.

If you are truly interested, do not be worried about how fast and how inexpensive the journey. It's difficult to teach something that you don't know. Some instructors today have become instructors in the fastest and easiest way possible and it shows to the employer and the student.

I agree that an extended period of working as a DM will give you good insight. I would suggest that you take some formal courses in small engine / compressor repair, diving equipment repair and vessel operation to supplement your resume. Get as much diving experience as you can in a number of different environments. Work on your diving abilities and good luck.

Sheriff, I think that Crowly says it best and he is right based on my 15+ years of diving in most places in the world. I would suggest getting out and diving as much as you can do as a 1st priority. You can learn on each and every dive. As for diving in Asia you can go thru Thailand or Cambodia thru Scuba Diving Holiday in Phuket, Thailand based in Kata Beach (below Thailand). I came across them when i was doing the PADI IE test in Phuket last December. The owner is Tien an American Vietnamese that i think offers a quality serice and good price based on the local competition which as Crawley notes is much lower than in many places in the world because of the low cost of living and lots of dive shops (like 50 new shops open per year and 53 close each year).

Good luck.

Its nice to see you have a desire to want to learn more and even teach one day, but I would suggest you stay a divemaster for at least six months before transitioning into the fast track to instructor. During that time you should really DM on boats, classes, and take people on tours so you know and become familiar with experiences firsthand.

IMHO, this would depend on location. Here in Hawaii, the only DM level employees I know of are related to the owner. 99.9% of all working dive pro's in Hawaii are at least OWSI, so you will not get the opportunity to DM on boats or take people on tours, and to help out with classes at best you would be an unpaid slave, :)

How are things on the ground in Thailand as a dive/training destination right now?

Thailand remains as it always has been: an excellent dive/training destination. The recent unrest in Bangkok is now over. And besides, the turmoil had zero effect on places like Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Koh Tao, Krabi or any other dive destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom