New gear purchase survey 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see...

Ikelite housing for my Canon S90 with an Inon D2000 strobe and ULCS arm and tray
Dorcy 220 dive light
Atomic Frameless mask
Beauchat 2mm gloves
Wetsuit pocket

No regrets, would happily recommend all of the above!

Ooops! I did it again!!

Pee valve w/ installation for the Fusion.

Expected to buy boots and fins for my daughter in the next few weeks too.

I have purchased spare air 3.0 cu ft. There are many reasons why. For one I find it quite remarkable how many divers on my trips have no clue how to dive. That have always spoiled my journeys because instead of having 1 hour bottom times I would always have to babysit someone who made that dive their first or 2nd open water dive. I would not mind except that they never tell you until 15 minutes into the dive they run out of air. So. Having a spare area helps me protect the newbies when they really really really need a few gulps of air. More importantly, however I want one so that I can be "safe(r)". It is a device that I hope I never have to use but in the event when I do I will have another couple of minutes to get myself to safety.

January began my adventure into tec diving, so my equipment cost to dive trip cost ratio just skyrocketted! Most of this I got to try first, as well as other brands, so I got something that was the most comfortable to me, and got some good deals. Haven't spent this much since I got certified 19 years ago, so if I get another 19 years out of this gear I'll be happy. :D Here we go...

Hollis FX100 Biodry drysuit/boots
Hollis LED16 can light
Hollis 212/DC1 x 2 regs, 7' and 40" hoses
Hollis H02 x 2 deco regs
SPGs, 6" hoses
Hollis SMS100 Harness
Hollis F1s
UWATEC bottom timer
Dive Rite Trio
2 x LP95
2 x AL80 (used)
Dive Rite cam bands
Dive Rite stage kits
Misc hardware
Intova 4.7W backup lights
100 lb lift bag
Dive Rite safety reel

Seaquest balance BC
integreated octo/inflator. ( I don't care who doesn't like them it works for me it's out of the way when Spearfishing and it delivers air when needed)
aqualung Titan lx
wenoka knife for said bc. Yes I know it's a marketing ploy with the holes forit already in the bc but I like it.
Suunto spg
4 lift bags with attatched stringers
akona dive bag
oceanways mask
deep see booties
3 lp 120 steels
I'm sure there's more but I can't think of it.
Ps sry fir spelling. On my I phone.

I've bought a pile of stuff this year... basically full kit for two people. Purchases were made based on readings here, advice from friends/instructors and perceived value.

Other than BCD, our kits are essentially identical, so two each of:
Henderson 5mm thermoprene jackets.
Henderson 5mm booties - wish I'd gotten some with zippers.
XS Scuba power fins with spring straps.
ScubaPro LadyHawk with Air2 (hers).
SeaQuest Balance (mine).
Air2 added to SeaQuest.
scuba.com titanium knife (bolted to her BCD).
Wenoka Squeezelock (came on my BCD).
ScubaPro MK11/G250V.
Octo-length hoses for the second stages, since we'd be donating the primary.
Aeris XR-1NX with compass.
SMB and spool.
Various bags, clips, retractors....

Still to buy:
3mm fullsuit (for me) and 5mm full (for Sue).
Lights and backups.
Booties with zippers.
ScubaPro LadyHawk weight pouch (one of hers is on the bottom by the Aquarium off Playa del Carmen, if anybody finds it...)
ScubaPro tank strap (I prefer theirs to the one on my SeaQuest, so I'm changing it.)
Foldspear (Lionfish are kill on sight, but only if you have something other than a dive tool...)

I got a pinnacle 2mm hooded vest since the water was colder than normal this winter. I bought it online to save money, and picked pinnacle because I am happy with the dive skin I have of theirs. Of course I have only used it once or twice at the Blue Heron Bridge.
I also got a new bottle of mask defog because my old one was empty. Same kind as before because I am happy with it. Bought it at the dive shop.
Finally, I got another Din to Yoke converter so my sister doesn't have to rent a reg when we go to the keys in June. Bought one from a guy on here because it was the least expensive route.

Not planning on purchasing any other dive gear for myself this year. Perhaps I'll get the GF a new mask sometime.

I have purchased spare air 3.0 cu ft. There are many reasons why. For one I find it quite remarkable how many divers on my trips have no clue how to dive. That have always spoiled my journeys because instead of having 1 hour bottom times I would always have to babysit someone who made that dive their first or 2nd open water dive. I would not mind except that they never tell you until 15 minutes into the dive they run out of air. So. Having a spare area helps me protect the newbies when they really really really need a few gulps of air. More importantly, however I want one so that I can be "safe(r)". It is a device that I hope I never have to use but in the event when I do I will have another couple of minutes to get myself to safety.

since you mentioned "reasons why" and "to be safe", have you done the calculations on whether you can get from a wreck at depth to the surface with one of these? :idk:

Just because you have a Spare Air, does not mean it's safe(r).

I never dive wrecks. Not something I am interested in. I usually dive at 40-60ft and when traveling to Cozumel I dive at 80 then ascend to 60 and finish dive at 40. While to this day I never technically ran out of air I did, however find myself once with 500psi during a safety stop diving in 30ft waters. Spare air is by no means a guarantee to save my life but knowing that when all my other options are exhausted I have that much more time to react to the situation.

I always start ascending at 1000psi and hover about 20 feet above the reef until 800 and then ascend to make my safety stop. If there is nothing to film then I ascend with 1000psi. Since my own safety is in my own hands I prefer not to take chances.

Last edited:
All my gear purchases this year (drysuits, deco tanks, reels, regs, harness, and a whole lotta other "must haves" that continue to feed my tech/cave diving addictions) have been "lovingly used" with the exception of a NiMH battery pack for my 21w canister light. That purchase came with a bit of sticker :shocked2:

Oh yeah, and those pesky fill cards at Fill Express that seem to keep running out :wink:

But I have found an incredible source of DEEP DEEP DEEPLY discounted tech gear . . .

(netmage's garage) :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom