If you had $1500 to spend which light would you buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished my Cavern/Intro with a Salvo 21W HID and Halcyon LED backups. Both worked very well. The 21W overpowering my instructors weaker LED primary was a problem from time to time.

Out of curiousity, any idea what type of LED primary he was using?

Out of curiousity, any idea what type of LED primary he was using?

I think it was a DiveRite but I don't remember the model.

I have the new Hollis LED16W and it has been great so far (made by Light Monkey). Used on a night dive in a local quarry, viz not stellar, and it was awesome! Better than my UK C8, but really not the same class of light. I use 2 Intova 4.7W LED for backup, which are nice as well. Actually used one as a primary in Hudson Grotto, which is very tannic water, and it was good enough to get me through Tec1.

Happy diving!

Light Monkey 21watt LED. Light Monkey backup lights. Just saving the money for them myself atm :)

Well I'm looking to buy a dive light. Any suggestions? Oh and also recommend a backup light too.

Light Monkey.

You can read my "mini review" of my 21w Havoc HID here:

Light Monkey HID lights at www.DiveSeekers.com

Give Wayne or Jason a call; tell 'em I sent you... they'll hook you up with primary and back-ups.

10.110.221-450.jpg

Hi,

here so much spoken about the conventional HID lights, i think now its time to speek about the new VB-CAVE with a a high power LED head with the possibility to adjust the focus between a hard spot and 36° beam.
A first review with beam shots you will find here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/336921-mb-sub-vb50-cave-review.html.
This a LED head for all situations in highest quality.

Michael

BTW, with the same system you can find a back up : X1-VB

Another vote here for the mbsub lights....this year I made an overdue upgrade to my light fleet and bought (3) X1-VB's (3 C-cell version) along with a PHOTON 2 and VB-50 lighthead, which are sold here in the US @ golemgear.com. They're very nice, high quality lights. For your $ 1500 budget you could afford the following:

X1-VB/C-cell version + Oxy light sock (optional) $ 300 (back up light)

Photon 2 $ 680 (primary light)

VB-50 lighthead $ 490 (which can be attached to the PHOTON 2)

...or if you want a can light, for $ 1090 you can get the VB-50 lighthead + cannister system

Hands down the best HID light available: Sandho

As to backup lights, after years of flooding half a dozen different brands, I've settled on: Raider

...while I'm a huge fan of many Oxycheq products, I can't endorse the Raider I or III, my Raider III flooded on my 1st dive trip using it, and my Raider I, while it's never flooded, is way too sporadic/erratic for me to trust it as a back up light....which is a shame, as I had such high hopes for both lights, and the light sock was a stroke of genius ! Oh well, I'm using the Oxy 'socks' on my mbsub lights now, where they work great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom