solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing will physically prevent you from solo diving (Depending on local, it might be a lifeguard), for a recreational diver, the notion should lend to hesitancy in so doing. Diving with a competent buddy lends to safety, this is the biggest reason you're taught to dive with certain restrictions, one of those being "dive with a buddy".

im new to this totally aesome new lifestyle of underwater,and have a rookie question,when am i permitted to solo dive.under what conditions and depth?
Nobody can stop you from doing anything youd like, certified or not so a "permit" for it can pretty much be given by yourself. HOWEVER if you need to ask, youre not ready.
TDI DOES have a solo diver course (which requires a certain ammount of experience and age).
This topic is however not one thats suitable for the "New divers and those considering diving" section of the board and you should go to the subforum dedicated to it.

I've been "solo" diving off and on since I started diving. When I first started diving I tried to always dive with someone, that someone tended to be whoever else showed up with out a buddy and also tended not to have the best buddy skills or dive experience. When I can get away with it I dive without a buddy rather than risking getting teamed up with some random person who might hurt me because they are bad buddies and bad divers. I rather dive with a good buddy but I won't pair up with some stray person just because I didn't have anybody to dive with that day.

knowone, you are a picasso of internet posts. There's something there but to understand one first has to rearrange the pieces.
And scubaflier... you need to find a better partner :eyebrow:

I started solo diving after my third dive, and had made probably half a dozen solo dives before I was certified. However, at that time, I was only diving to around 30 feet, and I had previously been comfortable skindiving to that depth. So all that was different was that with SCUBA I needed to remember to exhale on ascent. That was a little over forty years ago.

If you are going to dive solo, or with a buddy that you don't trust, at a depth that is too deep for you to make a controlled free ascent without air, then you will need a redundant air supply, and enough training or experience that you won't panic if your air supply fails and you need to switch to the redundant gas. Also, your redundant air supply needs to be adequate to make a safe ascent from the depth you plan to dive.

If you have dived with a particular buddy before and know that he/she will stay with you, then you can consider your buddy's air to be redundant gas for your emergency use. But you should never make a dive where you are counting on your buddy for more than that. For instance, if you are not quite sure that you can make a surf entry and you expect your buddy to assist you, you are putting both of you in danger. Your buddy is not there to rescue you. That is not to say that he/she won't try, but many multiple SCUBA fatalities have occurred when one buddy tried to save the other.

knowone, you are a picasso of internet posts. There's something there but to understand one first has to rearrange the pieces.
And scubaflier... you need to find a better partner :eyebrow:

Please refrain from encouraging me. Here. Here. So here it is.
If a head were a cube and you had in each corner, to borrow some of Thalassamania's terms, Intuition, Analyses, Holism and Knowhow it could be difficult to extricate the required formula from the extremities in order to immediately execute before immediate execution is required.
However if a head is more rounded, requirements for problem solving flow more freely and are able to be correlated abstractly before a situation arises or during.
However if a ship falls on your head you will need a jack.
Every dive should have a challenge unless you don't want it to. The challenging part may be that it was performed without challenge.
I have passion for one woman and diving.

Last edited:
If a head were a cube and you had in each corner, to borrow some of Thalassamania's terms, Intuition, Analyses, Holism and Knowhow it could be difficult to extricate the required formula from the extremities in order to immediately execute before immediate execution is required.
However if a head is more rounded, requirements for problem solving flow more freely and are able to be correlated abstractly before a situation arises or during.
Every dive should have a challenge unless you don't want it to. The challenging part may be that it was performed without challenge.

:confused:

:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom