Dive caddy - airline carry on solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw it being demonstrated at the Tacoma, WA Dive and Travel show yesterday. I came so close to pulling the trigger and getting one...but did not becuase: 1) My fins are Tusa Imprex and are rather large and angled compared to the smaller, flatter ones Chad was demonstrating with. 2) It appears that the bag has to go in the overhead bins sideways as it will not fit straight in (ie:"wheels -out" on a normal roller). I fly all the time and lately, once on board, the flight crews have been "big dealing" the "wheels-out/straight in" bit! I don't want to have to a-la-cart the bag all the time.

Definitely thought it was a well made and well marketed product...just physically too long. One stroke of the pen someday and these units would have to be checked anyhow.

Still kicking it around though:confused:

I have the V16 fins which are rather large and curved...they fit but not standard, I angle them and put them heal to toe.

With regards to the divecaddy and packing it straight...out of four flights only once did I have to pack it sideways and I could have packed it straight but I didn't want to detach the top pack (forget the name of it). It was not a big deal because that flight was particularly sparse and there was plenty of space....but if there wasn't I would have removed the top pack which fits in standard major airline planes (maybe not any of those really small planes, but I haven't tried those.

Rock2r,
I just did a round trip to Florida on JetBlue and had no problem storing my Divecaddy in the overhead wing to wing with the turtle pack secured to it.

Here is a Chad quote: (He's the manufacturer)
"Remember the Divecaddy is not a suitcase, not a duffel bag, not even really a "backpack".... It's an extremely comfortable and compressible "GEAR WRAPPER" with shoulder straps. The DCs' outside dimensions are directly proportionate to what you put inside it. While it works great with 28" Atomic Splits, it's also great with no fins, Force fins, or any other goofy fin you can think of...

The fact that the DC is a SOFT BAG and doesn't have any rigid stays, metal bars (like suitcases), etc., allows it to flex to fit inside the challenge racks. The most rigid thing about the bag is the fin set up inside it... Well, the fins flex and bend, that's why 28" fins fit inside the 22" challenge rack. Make sense?
People have to shift their thinking away from the limitations of suitcases and the floppy old duffel bags they are used to using. Chad"

Safe Diving,
Brad

Although subject to airline carry-on requirements, air travelers are also subject to the whims of security personnel; especially in foreign countries. This became evident on a dive trip to Mexico last May. I am also a Dive Caddy owner and had no issues with TSA bag checking my Dive Caddy when departing the U.S. On our departure from Cancun Int'l airport, I was bag checked at the security checkpoint and promptly told by the agent I would not be allowed to carry on my gear. I never travel with a dive knife, BTW. In politely inquiring as to why, the agent said that my reg's and B.C. were unacceptable for carry on. In trying to explain that TSA had no issues when departing the U.S., the agent called over her supervisor who was not a very kind individual. Recognizing a "no-win" situation was at hand, I returned to the airline ticket counter to check my Dive Caddy, pulled out the mesh boat bag I had packed, stuffed the Dive Caddy in it and pulled off the turtle and spider pack (with mask and dive computer) to carry on with me.

My wife and two other traveling companions, who were bag checked at the security checkpoint by the same agent, carried on their reg's without any issues. My gear did arrive safely on the return trip. In numerous attempts to contact airport security at Cancun subsequent to this incident, no one has returned my emails inquiring as to why my gear was rejected that day at the security checkpoint. I've taken my Dive Caddy on trips to Hawai'i without problems. I've never once been hassled by TSA or airline personnel about carrying on my Dive Caddy. If the turtle pack is removed, the Dive Caddy fits in the overhead bin front to back.

It is important to understand that although the Dive Caddy, when properly packed, satisfies most major airlines current carry on and TSA requirements, all bets are off when you travel internationally. You will be subject, as I was in Cancun, to the whims of the agent at security checkpoints without recourse. A word to the wise - Be Prepared and have a bag handy in which you can stow the Dive Caddy in case a security agent rejects it as carry on.

We're returning to Cozumel this July and I'm taking my Dive Caddy again. It is a great way to travel with your dive gear.

I have been through Cancun airport many times with the dive caddy. No problems.

The only place I have ever had my DiveCaddy opened up was in Sky Harbor, Phoenix. The TSA official wanted to swab the regulators.

We were in Kona, HI in April. My DiveCaddy sailed through all inspections with no questions. My wife had her regs in her carry on bag and was inspected twice.

Several years ago I experienced the same hassle from Cancun security, I tried to reason also if I could fly into their airport with my regs and computer attached why not able to fly out. Must have had the same security person as they went and got the not so friendly supervisor and after discussion getting no where it was decided I would rather risk my gear being checked than visit the local jail. My husband said he saw other divers going through with no problemo, he thought a little $$$ slipped to the security guard would have solved the situation, but also was not sure if that would turn into an arrest. We just checked the regs and went on.

I am not sure why they are so inconsistent at that airport, but prehaps my husband is right they are looking for that bribe money. I am not willing to risk visiting their local jail, would rather lose the regs.

Seaangel

I am not sure why they are so inconsistent at that airport, but prehaps my husband is right they are looking for that bribe money. I am not willing to risk visiting their local jail, would rather lose the regs.

Seaangel

Because they can be...and instead of treating the customer with some respect they throw around the word "Jail".

Here in the US not an issue as we know what the extent of the law is, and what our rights are....some other country well do you really want to sit in a Mexican jail because barney 5 decided to be a prick?

I just used my dive caddy for the first time on a trip to Bonaire. First I would like to comment on the service from Dive Caddy. I purchased the system 11/09 but did not use it until my trip to bonaire 5/10. When I packed it I noticed that one of the clips to the spider bag did not work. I was leaving in five days so I called Dive caddy and informed them of my problem. I sent it back and they repaired and returned the bag in time for my vacation. They spent alot of money to send it guaranteed delivery so that I would be able to use it for my dive trip. No questions asked and they went to extremes to get it back to me for my trip. They were extremely customer freindly.

As for my trip I can tell you that this was my only piece of luggage for a 8 day trip. ( no risk no reward). The worse case senario is that I would have had to gate check. As you know Bonaire is for divers and there is no need for fancy clothing. If you pack lightly you can bring everything you need (dive gear and clothing) in this system.

What I packed:

1. Main System> Scuba Pro twin jet split fins, regulator with computer console, octopus, second stage, Aeris LX BCD Large, 3 mill shorty XL, booties hard sole, snorkel, safety sausage, flip flops.

2. Spider pack> two shorts, 5 t-shirts, four underwear, three socks, one nice shirt in case and two swim trunks. (Did not need much clothing as Bonaire very casual) Also after four days into the trip I put a small load into the washer and dryer where I was staying and I was good to go for the remainder of the the trip. You really do not have to pack a lot of clothing on a dive trip with the guys.

I wore a pair of jeans, a casual shirt, sneakers and a windbreaker onto the plane.

3. Turtle pack> used as my personal bag> Main dive light, back up light, mask and compact tool. Quart bag with 3 oz. shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, anti-persperant, 2 X 3 oz mouth wash, floss, and toothbrush. Electric razor. I even had enough room to put in my spare air (regulator off for inspection) Passport and tickets. Amazing! I did not pack a hair dryer as it probably would not fit. I may have been able to position it in the main system but I just did not try.

I went through security at Newark airport and told them it was dive gear. I was not asked to open up the main system. They did make me open the turtle Pack which I was carrying separately at this point. The spare aire can look like a bomb I guess. I did have the TSA printout regarding carrying on compressed air canisters which is ok as long as the regulator is off for inspection.

On the return flight I was asked to open the system by customs/security. This was no problem. The person behind me (a Diver) could not believe how much "stuff" I had in the bag. I gave him the website to dive caddy.

So there you have it. One bag for an eight day stay in Bonaire. I had no problems with Continental and the bag fit in the overhead compartment with no problems. I did not put it into the overhead with the turtle pack. I do suggest that you board the plane with the system fully on you back and not carrying it by the strap handle. As I stated not one airline personnel ever confronted me with the system on my back.

I did notice most of the divers had the big dive gear bag with rollers that they had to check, including my dive buddy. While he was waiting for his bag I was drinking a soda and had sandwich. Both ways my buddy had to wait between 30-40 minutes for his bag once off the plane. I would recommend the dive caddy to anyone.

I am going to bring my dive caddy with me to a trip to Mexico as well. We will be staying for 2 weeks, so I will also have a bag that I will check as well.
I'm just glad to be able to bring my dive gear with me + some personal items just in case the checked one would get there late or something.
This happened to me last year, well it wasn't scuba related, but anyway...was going to Carson California for a BJJ competition and when we got there our bags were lost somewhere between JFK and LAX...great! :( Luckily, I had packed my GI and competition gear on my carry-on! The other guys/girls had to buy new Gi's and stuff...our bags eventually made it, but 2 days later!
Anyway, just to prove that, it always better to have our stuff (scuba gear) with us! I'm really glad DC came out with this product! Its very well made. I live in Canada and do mainly cold water diving. I wouldn't be able to pack my dry suit (i think, didn't try yet :wink: but I can pack my 7mm wetsuit plus all the gear in it (booties, gloves, BCD, fins, mask, snorkel).
Most people travel to warm waters to dive anyway, so fitting in a shorty or a full 3mm or something will be a breeze!
Anyway, great bag solution, fantastic product and excellent costumer service.
Thank you Dive Caddy

My wife and I just bought Dive Caddy's. Plan to also check one more bag between the two of us for Cozumel in July. System looks great. Have packed and re-packed adjusting how to best fit everything in. As stated, all gear plus at least a weeks worth of clothes fits nicely. Weight: 35 pounds. Well under Continental's 40 pound limit. Can't wait to put it to use. I have a lightweight Bare duffle pack pack that I will use onboard the dive boat. It rolls up and fits nicely into the caddy.

I will be sure to post an update after my trip.

I don't think I would want to black out the dive caddy labels. First, it is intended as a carry-on. If it is kept with you why would you need to be worried about other people knowing there is dive gear packed. Second, I think it would be a good thing for TSA to see the labels so they have an idea of what is packed as it goes through the x-ray.

I think I will get the unmarked duffle that the DC fits into for use just in case the luggage does get gate checked but I don't see any home modifications being necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom