DiveRite LED LUX Canister Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have Lithium batteries or NiMH?

Lithium batteries usually have simple circuit at the top of the battery stack. This is a potential failure point and lithium gives us little little warning as the battery reaches a certain voltage then it falls off and the device shuts down. This is real problem in a cave situation.

NIMH Nickel Metal Hydride- (invented in the US) do not require the circuitry and tend to let the light flicker or dim slightly before they go out giving you just a little warning.

When I charge my NIMH batteries they get hot and it takes on average three hour to charge my mini canister. I have had batteries for years and they work great. First I had the MLS bucket light and now I have the mini canister that was a special order. Plus, I know that Alan had the double MLS monster- but that is a great light.

NiMH with with LED lights provide us with the geatest potentail for bright long lasting lights with a stable (less contentious) battery source.

The next step is how we run higher light output from LED lights. As we either overrun the standard LED we start to generate heat from the process. Now, the newer Creed LED does not seems to generate as much heat. Hopefully, in the future we can take this to the next step and balance the units for stability and intensity.

Andrew

Alan had the double MLS monster- but that is a great light.

NiMH with with LED lights provide us with the geatest potentail for bright long lasting lights with a stable (less contentious) battery source.

Andrew

NiMH//LED new system--yep.

Still have 'Big Bertha" and she works great, but weights a lot.

:)

Option for big Bertha
If you use a single tank adapter you could attach a very small wing and offset the weight of the unit underwater. I am sure you would have to work out the dispalcement at the surface verses depth but it would be a potential option to reduce the weight you feel. If you are looking for literature look for no tank mounting, or perhaps monkey wing by DSS that has 12lbs of lift. Also Fixxer has a great use for MSR bags and beat that would work too.

Guess, I should stay that the idea for this is to make the light more like a stage tank that is easier to manage underwater.
Andrew

Option for big Bertha
If you use a single tank adapter you could attach a very small wing and offset the weight of the unit underwater. I am sure you would have to work out the dispalcement at the surface verses depth but it would be a potential option to reduce the weight you feel. If you are looking for literature look for no tank mounting, or perhaps monkey wing by DSS that has 12lbs of lift. Also Fixxer has a great use for MSR bags and beat that would work too.

Guess, I should stay that the idea for this is to make the light more like a stage tank that is easier to manage underwater.
Andrew

Andrew,

I carry it since I got it years back rigged as a stage bottle....once in the water it offers little wt. issues. Thanks tho for the thoughts! Say HI to the whole family for me please!!

Alan

DR's new LUX battery pack charger arrived today. Hopefully this will solve the problem!

I think my battery is just about toast. I have fully drained it twice in the last couple of weeks and it's lasting about 3 hours before it starts dimming. It is rated for a 6 hour burn time.

I think my battery is just about toast. I have fully drained it twice in the last couple of weeks and it's lasting about 3 hours before it starts dimming. It is rated for a 6 hour burn time.

Call and talk with Mike in Service, he is a nice/helpful fellow.

Problem solved....I originally got in my kit a charger that did not work correct big time. Dive Rite got on it and sent me a new one at no cost....and it works great! :)

Problem solved....I originally got in my kit a charger that did not work correct big time. Dive Rite got on it and sent me a new one at no cost....and it works great! :)

My experience with Dive Rite has been excellent so far so this does not surprise me. I am looking at their LUX light as well and would like to hear more reports.

My experience with Dive Rite has been excellent so far so this does not surprise me. I am looking at their LUX light as well and would like to hear more reports.

For the investment, a great set-up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom