To check or to carry-on...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We travel a fair amount. We carry on masks, regs, computers, camera gear. Despite discussions here about strategies to carry on all gear, I meet lots of people traveling and this seems pretty rare. Not to mention impossible on many itineraries because of airline rules or small planes. (I did see my first dive caddy in Honduras a couple weeks ago and as packed there's no way it was within standard US carrier size limits.) It's also rare that I've met divers who have actually lost luggage. Not to say it can't happen but I think people lose way too much sleep about this.

Many liveaboards do have gear available and hopefully you'll hear from yours soon what their deal is. Sometimes it's on board, sometimes more if they can get it onboard before sailing. They should be prepared as they do have the occasional person needing it for some reason, including the possibility of a bag getting lost or delayed. And sometimes they'll even have a backup plan to get luggage that shows up next day to the boat, if the route allows.

Don's thought about arriving a day ahead for a liveaboard is not a bad idea, not only to give you the warm fuzzies about your luggage, but as a way to extend a trip a bit and arrive rested rather than frazzled. We've started doing this when it makes sense.

For the record I've lost luggage twice - and I'm still not losing sleep about it. Once on the way connecting through Barbados, the airport was under construction and disorganized at the time and I was half expecting it. We got it back the next morning. The other time on the way home from Curacao when we were unexpectedly put on a regional plane and they didn't send half the luggage (we had lots of company.) Was delivered to our home the next night, covered in animal hair with tags from a strange airport (thanks American.)

There are strategies to give your luggage the best chance. No dangling straps. Good luggage tags with full itineraries inside and outside the bag. Do something to your luggage to make it not look like every other bag. And keep an eye out when your luggage is checked to make sure it actually gets the right tags and gets safely on the belt, in the right pile, or whatever - I've seen some real disorganization behind the counter.

OK, so good to hear we're in the norm.

Yeah, I figure the dive charter probably has a plan to deal with stuff like this. I just like to be a "take care of it myself" kind of guy.

I also have come to HAAAAAAAATTTTTEEEEE traveling by airline, and anything I can do to limit stress, I go for.

Thanks folks!

Ike aka "barely a week to go now"

I traveled years ago all the time and after one horrible experience after the next, checking my bag is now a last resort. If they don't loose it, they steal from it, if the don't steal from it they drop an anvil on top of it. If you haven't experienced this yet you either don't travel much or are a VERY lucky person.

I am going through the same issues trying to figure out how I am going to work within the weight limits flying from GC to LC. Right now, I am only planning to carry our regs, travel documents, swimsuits, and a book as a carryon (since they are limited to 15lbs)...everything else will be checked. Working right now on how to limit the weight of the rest of the gear...probably going to leave dive lights and batteries behind and pack some of the gear into the pelican camera case instead. I am also looking at swapping my atomic open heel fins and booties for full foot fins instead. Anybody else have any ideas on how to limit weight without spending a fortune on new gear? I would love to get a lightweight warm water BP&W, but can't afford it right now.

.... and pack some of the gear into the pelican camera case instead..... Anybody else have any ideas on how to limit weight ....

Skip the Pelican case, for one thing.

We've never met the weight limits going to LC. I just don't worry about it.

I have been travelling with my dive gear for over ten years and I check it all in. I have never had any problems in Europe, Asia or Africa (maybe things are different across the pond!)

For carry on MEI voyager- fits all my gear: 2xl 5mm full, BC, regulator, apollo Bio fins large, mask, hood, gloves, and boots ~30 pounds.
Recomended:
Leisure Travel Bags :: One Bag

From their site:
The MEI Voyageur Back-Pack - First choice of the seasoned world traveler
"My current choice in this category is the MEI "Voyageur" pack (pictured above), which is 22 × 14 × 9 inches (maximum permitted carryon size), made of 1000 denier Cordura with an interior urethane coating, and has a parallel stay internal aluminum frame. The hip belt and shoulder harness are lined with nylon knit, and padded with closed cell foam; these zip out of sight for carryon use, and a more "luggage-like" appearance

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom