Solo diving class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean:
sorry...One of the requirments is that your buddy has to sign your log.

Wonder how that works for that guy who goes diving with his dog?

That's definitely one of those "if you need a class, you're not qualified" things.

I don't see how you can teach that one, to be honest..... :D

Genesis:
That's definitely one of those "if you need a class, you're not qualified" things.

Good point...could be why I haven't taught it yet.

( OH MY GOD...I just agreed with Karl :scared: )

Genesis:

Definitely....I haven't taken it because I'm too busy solo diving. :)

hey karl, if you had READ his post, he says he hasn't taught the class yet...

not a problem if your philosophy is "write an encyclopedia in response, read the post
later"

(i am teasing... teasing.... anyone? teasing? teasing?)

Since we are talking about this I was wondering what everyone thinks should be taught or required for this certification?

I know what the SDI standards are for this course ( Solo Specialty Standards) but I would like to know what other skills or tips you would like to see?.

Providing of course you think it should be taught or even done...

Yes.

"Spare Air"?! You're kidding, right? How about "sufficient redundant gas supply to reach the surface, with all ordinary stops, at twice the diver's average RMV across the last 20 dives in his log." That might be a good STARTING POINT.

I disagree with point (4) in its entirety; the relative risk measures are nowhere near that clear-cut.

"Electronic compass"!? Did I really read that?

The rest is awful thin, IMHO, but what do I know. I didn't pass (or even take) the class. :D

glbirch:
For the class we dove with an instructor. Here's the course outline, which pretty much covers it:

http://www.tdicanada.com/courses/sdi/solo.pdf

Very interesting to find out that the instructor quilfy to teah this course need not with minimum of 50 logged dive, on the other hand SDI is quite a new certifying agency. I do not know much of them.

I do solo only I have to, usually in working environment or near zero vis. other then that I do not see a need for that. I suggest you have to know the site environment very brfore you consider to dive Solo.

S C:
Very interesting to find out that the instructor quilfy to teah this course need not with minimum of 50 logged dive...

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

pipedope:
And I was the only one there. :D

LOL I wish I had though of that come back. Good one pipedope, made me laugh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom