Equalization and Depth Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never used the pinched nose. If there is any problem at all, I swallow. But 90% of the time I just do it internally. By that, I mean: Yawn: You will hear & slightly feel a "crackling or clicking" sound in your ears, usually while opening your mouth wide to yawn. I believe that is what happens when you're equalizing-it must be the eustacian tubes opening. Try to remain in that position of "crackling" to get the feel of it. Try this when on a plane. I think it's related to the "frenzel" (throat) maneuver. It works for a few people. I think the nose pinching & valsalva maneuvers are just other ways to get you to that "clicking" point.

I would be more concerned about the reverse squeeze when deep diving as this can be very disorientating and cause severe nausea and vertigo not fun when ascending from 120ft

I really wish that instructors would spend more time in basic OW class explaining ear anatomy and the various techniques of ear equalization.
... Practice until it becomes second nature...
This seems to be one of the biggest issue with new divers and one that is so easily solved if addressed early.
Practice on land and once you have mastered the technique that works for you, any problems equalizing while diving will disappear.

Rule of thumb for new divers, equalize more often and before you feel any hint of discomfort.

Proper equalization has to be the least covered topic in OW. When my wife got her OW last year, the instructor told her the same old "pinch and blow" technique. After she had trouble, I went over the different techniques with her until we found one that works. It doesn't take a lot of time and I think it would relieve a lot of anxiety for the diver during the checkout dives.

Big swallows work for me everytime

Thank you to every one that posted to help me. I was able to complete a nice dive off Oahu's south shore with no problems. Took it slow and tried the methods you suggested.

It may not seem like much to an experienced diver but these types of posts and assistance mean a lot to newly certified divers like myself.

Thanks again to all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom