Info about St. Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitsuguy, we are thinking of trip to St Croix. What are some of the names of the rentals places that are cheaper but still a good place to stay on the North shore?

On our first trip in June we stayed at Cane Bay as they have a couple of cabins for rent. Our last trip this past Feb we stayed on the West End at Northside Valley , which was very quiet. It was close enough to Frederstad which has some nice places to eat, though we cooked most of the time. The only draw back was the 25 minute "commute" over to Cane Bay on the days we dove the north side.

Somewhere there is a trip report on our visit last Feb.

Just one question about North Shore diving and Dive Experience... DO they actually dive the true North Shore???? We never ever see them, and we dive it every day, nonetheless our dive shop is on the north shore...

Yes, Michelle and Dive Experience do dive the North Shore. I've seen them there lots of times from other boats.

Yes, Michelle and Dive Experience do dive the North Shore. I've seen them there lots of times from other boats.

lots of times, maybe, but they haven't been on the north shore in at least two weeks...

Not to be argumentative, but we saw them twice at Salt River last week and Rust Op Twist the week before that.

There hasn't been a mooring on Rust Op in at least two months... I see them at Salt River all the time... I'm talking about the area between Sea Mount and Ham's Bluff - where the wall is close to shore and in relatively shallow depths... Its the best diving on St. Croix... From someone who has dived all over the island multiple times, the dives I keep going back to (when I'm not working) are Salt River West, Sea Mount, Trench, Pavilions, Cane Bay, Northstar, Captain Morgans, Vertigo, Ham's Bluff, Armageddon and the Pier... No other dive shop dives most of these with any regularity - N2theblue and SCUBA west dive the wrecks, armageddon, the pier and the west end reefs, and Dive Experience, SCUBA and Anchor dive Salt River and Long Reef primarily. Anchor and SCUBA make it over to the north shore (west of salt river) every once in a while, but Dive Experience hardly EVER does...

What irritates me more than anything is that people come to St. Croix to dive, and many don't get a chance to dive some of the best sites because the dive shops don't go there, so they don't get to see how amazing it can be here...

IMO, the three best dives on the island are Cane Bay, Ham's Bluff and the Pier.

There hasn't been a mooring on Rust Op in at least two months... I see them at Salt River all the time... I'm talking about the area between Sea Mount and Ham's Bluff - where the wall is close to shore and in relatively shallow depths... Its the best diving on St. Croix... From someone who has dived all over the island multiple times, the dives I keep going back to (when I'm not working) are Salt River West, Sea Mount, Trench, Pavilions, Cane Bay, Northstar, Captain Morgans, Vertigo, Ham's Bluff, Armageddon and the Pier... No other dive shop dives most of these with any regularity - N2theblue and SCUBA west dive the wrecks, armageddon, the pier and the west end reefs, and Dive Experience, SCUBA and Anchor dive Salt River and Long Reef primarily. Anchor and SCUBA make it over to the north shore (west of salt river) every once in a while, but Dive Experience hardly EVER does...

What irritates me more than anything is that people come to St. Croix to dive, and many don't get a chance to dive some of the best sites because the dive shops don't go there, so they don't get to see how amazing it can be here...

IMO, the three best dives on the island are Cane Bay, Ham's Bluff and the Pier.

You are right about Rust Op...confused that site with Little Cozumel, though I don't know how.

I've been diving with Anchor for a while and during my most recent two week trip, we dove Pavilions, Northstar, Jimmy's Surprise, etc. We didn't make it to Vertigo this time, though I've done it with them in the past.

I haven't done Armageddon yet, though maybe some trip I will try it.

i love how there's only one shop on st. croix that feels it's neccessary to bash all the others.

SCUBA has a little more positive attitude than that...
after all, they are "the friendliest dive shop on earth"

:wink:

i love how there's only one shop on st. croix that feels it's neccessary to bash all the others.

SCUBA has a little more positive attitude than that...
after all, they are "the friendliest dive shop on earth"

:wink:

Ah Jon, not bashing, just trying to get you guys to come visit the North Shore more often

:)

Whats up with the water lately? It's crappy vis everywhere...

algae bloom, just a month or 2 late this year...to bad the manta's decided not to follow it up this year, though. at least not yet... :D

algae bloom, just a month or 2 late this year...to bad the manta's decided not to follow it up this year, though. at least not yet... :D

Was thinking that, last year it was right when Diamond and I showed up, around the first part of May...

There was a Manta at Cane Bay two days ago :)

I wasn't there to see it either tho :(

Back
Top Bottom