Mermet/Pennyroyale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You make it sound like I am always hurt. I broke my thumb at work due to someone else's screw up.
Viz was pretty crappy at Pennyroyal. And since Jennifer was the only one that showed (other than Tammy who was teaching) my weekend consisted of one dive and a couple scooter laps.

I had a great time at both places!!!! We got in 4 dives at Pennyroyal Saturday, 1 at Mermet Saturday Night and 4 at Mermet Sunday. I can't say enough about how friendly the staff was at both places, including the owners!!!

Had one bad dive at Mermet. My wife and I were about to go around on a wall dive around spoonbill cove and a gentlemen was already in the water, by himself. He was friendly and asked if he could go with us on the dive since he was by himself. He divulged that he did a couple of dives by himself. We said sure and set our dive plan. We said we would drop below thermocline at 35' to 40' and stay at that depth throughout the dive around the wall and at 500psi make our ascent with safety stop at 15'. We began our descent and reached 35'. Wife and I leveled off and looked at other gentleman and signaled to level out and we will begin our swim around the wall, and he signaled ok. My wife and I began to make our way around and I look back and see the guy about 15' below, so wife and I descended down a bit to 50' and the guy is still descending. I motion with my fingers to ascend back up to us and he kept dropping, looking right at me. I became much more vigorous and wave my arm in a manner to say get your ass back up here and he kept descending!!! I looked at my wife and signaled stay there on the wall I'm going down to see if there is a problem.

I descended quickly and caught up to him at 74' and signaled right in front of his mask go up to quit descending. I looked back down at my computer and we were at 82', so I grabbed his inflator and arrested our descent. I angrily signaled to ascend up to 40'. We began our ascent to my wife who was waiting on the wall at 50'. On the ascent the guy hammers down on his inflator and became massively bouyant and began shooting up like a bobber. I grabbed his d-ring on his bc and was being towed almost as fast!!! I was dumping every bit of air I had and could not arrest the ascent, so I reached for the wall and grabbed onto a good ledge and slowed us down tremedously.

I fought too keep getting a hold of the wall too slow the ascent all the way up to 30' when I lost vis of my wife. I finally said screw this, my wife is my more important buddy I'm not leaving her and let go of him. I descended back down to my wife who was making a good slow ascent and we made our ascent with a 3 minute safety stop at 15'. We finally surfaced and the guy said I don't know what was going on did you see all the bubbles!!! I said NO, BUT YOU NEED TO WORK ON YOUR FRIGGING BOUYANCY!!!!! I was pissed. I said "We stick to a plan and when someone says come up, you respond or if you have a problem signal so we know!!" I told him that I finally got to him and stopped the descent at 82' double of what the plan was, and he just replied "I had no idea I was that deep".

Then he said that since he was having problems he thought he'd just ascend so my wife and I could do our dive. I told him first off you don't just become bouyant and ascend and second you were part of a BUDDY system that we included you in. If for some reason your dive ends so does your buddies!!!!!! I'm still pissed!!! Can't believe this guy was by himself first off and then put us in danger!! I am not nearly experienced enough to put up with someone like that who has been certified 2 years longer than I am. Adrenaline got us through the situation, but now that it's over I'm just mad!!! The entire dive consisted of only 11 minutes on my computer, but dang.

On a good note however I absolutely loved the diving. Tammy thank you so much for giving us a quick tutorial on a dive plan for our deep dive at Pennyroyal, it was an awesome dive!! Hope I did not disrupt you class to much, but I really appreciated the help!!. Hammer thanks for all the advice on Mermet everything went just as you said!! Definitely going to make a trip back to both places they were so awesome!!! Thanks again everyone!!!!!

Sounds like your insta- buddy at Mermet is a Darwin candidate. Probably not used to the cold at depth & highly narc'd. Sounds like you did the best you could with him. Better there to be 1 casualty, (if there must be) than 2 hurt.

It was no problem to point out the points of interest. It was my honor! You did not disturb my class in any way. We were on a surface interval between dives. I had a family of 4 who were fantastic (of course they were, I'm their instructor!:D:) ). They stuck like glue to me & each other. Made the class very easy, even with poor vis.

Perhaps if you return some day & I'm not teaching & the vis is a little better, I can show you around a bit.

You make it sound like I am always hurt. I broke my thumb at work due to someone else's screw up.
Viz was pretty crappy at Pennyroyal. And since Jennifer was the only one that showed (other than Tammy who was teaching) my weekend consisted of one dive and a couple scooter laps.

Sorry, I was just afraid you had another arson incident. Glad your ok. I keep reading "jennifer was the only one there"....It just seems so odd. Like the whole universe is atilt. Sorry Jen, since Dave isnt here I had to harass you for him.

Refresh my memory, but what is the standard "OHH S**" signal?

I would say the worst of those is the one where they make some vague slash across the throat. :D When you take that last breath is when there is a true emergency, the rest is only an inconvenience.

And since Jennifer was the only one that showed (other than Tammy who was teaching) my weekend consisted of one dive and a couple scooter laps.

Sorry, something came up. I wish we could have been there. Believe me I whined all weekend about not getting to go!

My dive season is getting off to a slow start, something needs to change for sure...

Refresh my memory, but what is the standard "OHH S**" signal?

It's a big O over your head with the arms and then a motion like rock paper scissors, but just the rock with your hands!!! Not sure if that's standard or not, but anything would help!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom