Knew it would happen eventually

How do you make sure an insta-buddy stays with you?

• Put him/her in the lead, then stay with 'em

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Use a leash

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Just keep an eye on 'em

Votes: 60 61.9%
  • Some other method - explained in my post

Votes: 10 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Jax: Actually, I wasn't that stressed out about my, all of a sudden, solo situation. I'm getting pretty comfortable in the water and comfortable with my abilities. We weren't very deep. I was concerned about him though, that's what was stressing me out, just not knowing what had happened to him.

Thanks Jax: Actually, I wasn't that stressed out about my, all of a sudden, solo situation. I'm getting pretty comfortable in the water and comfortable with my abilities. We weren't very deep. I was concerned about him though, that's what was stressing me out, just not knowing what had happened to him.

I can imagine . . . y'all had to wait, unknowing, until he popped up. To his detriment, he could have gotten into trouble and had no rescue.

Why is it always the insta- buddys Fault?
each diver is suppose to be self reliant not totaly dependant on another when you reach your limits stop the dive that should be your plan. before you exceed your comfort level stop the dive

Diveing is not difficult divers are

Apparently spelling diving is, though. :rofl3:

It's not ONLY the buddy's fault. Yes, we are all supposed to be self reliant (hence the S in SCUBA). However, we are also supposed to be prepared for an emergency. That's why we all (most) carry two regs. Once the buddy decided NOT to make a quick search or surface to find his buddy, it became his fault. What if he stopped because he was having a problem, a heart attack, getting narcosis, etz? What kind of human cares so little about other people? F

I never get on a boat without my own buddy but if I do, I'd hope an insta-buddy would at least follow the most basic of diving etiquette and training standards.

scubaflier, your attitude absolutely dumfounds me.

When I get in the water with a buddy, I have made a commitment to that person that I will stay with them until we are back on shore or on the boat. If they have a problem and need to abort, I go with them. It has NOTHING to do with me being unable to complete the dive by myself -- I am probably more capable of doing that than a good many of the people new to me with whom I have dived. It has to do with responsibility, and the contract that is made when you agree to be buddies.

If two people want to have a pre-dive discussion that goes something like, "Well, we'll get in the water together, but we can both go our own way and if we don't end up together, then we don't," that's up to them. But if you agree that you will execute the dive together, you don't take off on somebody. There are two people in the world so far with whom I will never dive again, and both of them committed that particular sin.

In the OP's situation, I would have done precisely what he did, and I would have sat on the boat and chewed my nails until the "instabuddy" reappeared, and then I would have been utterly and thoroughly ticked off, and he would have heard about it.

One of the things I love about the system within which I dive is that we dive as a team. You get in the water together, you come out together. We had a lovely example of that when one of our team had to abort a planned technical dive last Sunday. He wanted to go back alone, so the other three of us could finish our dive. He wasn't allowed to do that -- one of the team accompanied him home. As we were shore diving in an area with kelp, it was definitely the right decision -- but it is part of our ethos, as well.

Scubaflier, the OP did plan his dive and dive his plan. He took exactly the right actions given the situation he was in. The instabuddy did not. I'm trying to understand why you take issue with the OP's opinion of this situation, I really am, but I simply don't.

When his "buddy" agreed to be his buddy and agreed to the dive plan, he was out of line by not following it. If the buddy had wanted to dive solo, that should have been his plan up front.The OP followed the plan, and was not concerned as much for his safety as for the safety of his buddy. The OP DID take responsibility for himself on this dive.

I will only dive with a buddy and generally will not insta buddy here in NC. Our conditions are too dangerous and although I am fully responsible for myself, I do not want to be responsible for someone whom I don't know to be a careful and safe diver. The only time I have buddied with an insta buddy is when I had planned to dive with two guys who were going to be futzing with their cameras. There was a local female diver (trust me, a rarity) who was going on an inshore charter and I talked her onto our boat so that I could dive more freely than diving with folks doing photography would allow. And I did not want to pass up a chance to have a future female dive buddy.

I'd buddy with you anyday doofus.

more people should snorkel
Diveing is to much for some

Wow....and you're in instructor?!!!

I would actually be agreeing with scubaflier IF they hadn't been identified as buddies before getting in the water. Once they were, they should be looking out for each other...not just one looking out for the other. If the DM or Capt doesn't allow solo diving, then the guy shouldn't show up without a buddy or should accept being assigned one. If it does allow solo diving and he doesn't want a buddy, man up and refuse. Sure, he might hurt someone's feelings but he won't risk a life.

Why is it always the insta- buddys Fault?
each diver is suppose to be self reliant not totaly dependant on another when you reach your limits stop the dive that should be your plan. before you exceed your comfort level stop the dive

Diveing is not difficult divers are

You're supposedly an instructor or DM. Do you know what your agency's "lost buddy procedure" is?

I'm pretty sure there's a significant disconnect between your opinion and what you're supposed to be teaching.

Terry

I think TSandM hit the nail on the head here. "It has to do with responsibility, and the contract that is made when you agree to be buddies."
To me it doesn't matter if the plan was to stay together or split up after entry.If a plan was agreed to pre-dive,it should be followed.Period!
I like reading this kind of thread because I can often learn more here on SB than in the water.I can get some insight into the character and sense of responsibility that possible buddies have.
Good thread.I have added names to both my "would like to" and my "Never" dive with lists.

Back
Top Bottom