Which sidemount to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SangP

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I really need some advice on which side mount setup to get.

I need a setup that allows me to switch between between rec & tech or doubles/sm.

Is there something that would allow me to swap in a single tank wing n go back mount rec diving n then swap back a doubles wing for some bm or sm diving?

I really like the adjustability of the Razor harness, the flexibility of the Hollis SMS100 and the toughness of the Oxycheq recon.

DA Aquamaster mentioned the Nomad but I found it rather bulky, it did not seem able to fit a hog harness n the wing design was not what I was looking for... ie not 360.

Being a long time bp user I need to know how a soft plate like the SMS100 or the Nomad is able to support the weight and stress of a doubles tank on the attachment points.

Even the DSS kydex plate has ss hardware to support the stress points so I'm wondering about the durability of a soft pack for a doubles bm rig.

Thanks,

SangP

I've used the Nomad wtih HP130s doubled up, but don't have extensive experience in that setup. It worked the few times I used it.

The Nomad is easy to swap between SM, BM, and singles. That won't really be possible with the Razor. Dunno how tough the Oxycheq Recon is... but it never seemed any tougher than the Nomads just with casual observation at the diveshop.

I've never seen the SMS100.

If I had to have one system for everything, it'd be the Nomad.

If you and DA Aquamaster have such high regards for the nomad, then it's moving to the top of my list.

Thanks n any further info from anyone else would be appreciated.

SangP

I use the Nomad with 130s for most of my diving. Works great with or without stages.

I really need some advice on which side mount setup to get. I need a setup that allows me to switch between between rec & tech or doubles/sm.
SuPrBuGmAn:
The Nomad is easy to swap between SM, BM, and singles.
I concur. I have used my Transpac rig for SM, and for single AL80s, all the way to double 130s, with an AL80 and an AL40 clipped on as deco bottles. It can easily support the weight on the attachment points. You will need stabilizers (that Dive Rite sells) with the TransPac when you dive BM doubles, but that is a modest additional investment.
SangP:
DA Aquamaster mentioned the Nomad but I found it rather bulky, it did not seem able to fit a hog harness n the wing design was not what I was looking for... ie not 360. ... Being a long time bp user I need to know how a soft plate like the SMS100 or the Nomad is able to support the weight and stress of a doubles tank on the attachment points.
I confess that I was initially a skeptic as well. In fact, historically I have been neutral (at best) to negative about the TransPac in general. Entirely too much padding, soft plate, etc., etc. I preferred a SS BP for single tank and doubles. But, while you can jury-rig a BP/W for SM diving, you have to make adjustments to prevent tacoing, and work out bungee attachment points, etc. Going with the Nomad was easier, and once I took the step, I have no regrets. I did take all the lumbar padding and shoulder padding off, however. I am certainly not giving up my BPs, but I am finding the TransPac and Nomad wing to be far more versatile than I would have ever thought.

FWIW...I just returned from a dive trip, and used my SMS100 in a single tank BM config (they wouldn't let me sidemount, ugh, resort operators :/). It has a 52lb lift wing with bungees, so I just bungeed it way down, added cam bands, 4lb of soft weight under the backpad (also had waist mounted DR weight pockets) and away I went. Dove really nice! I could also see using the DR doubles adapters if you want, seemed very sturdy with single tank (realize doubles is a different story though). Seems like it will be a very versitile setup, like I wanted I should be able to use as single tank and sidemount config as planned. Hope this helps. Happy diving!

You will need stabilizers (that Dive Rite sells) with the TransPac when you dive BM doubles, but that is a modest additional investment.
R your referring to these plates? Dive Rite Stabilizing Plates reviews and discounts, Dive Rite
In that case wouldn't the addition of these plates make almost every soft pack capable of supporting a bm doubles?

I confess that I was initially a skeptic as well. In fact, historically I have been neutral (at best) to negative about the TransPac in general. Entirely too much padding, soft plate, etc., etc. I preferred a SS BP for single tank and doubles. But, while you can jury-rig a BP/W for SM diving, you have to make adjustments to prevent tacoing, and work out bungee attachment points, etc. Going with the Nomad was easier, and once I took the step, I have no regrets. I did take all the lumbar padding and shoulder padding off, however. I am certainly not giving up my BPs, but I am finding the TransPac and Nomad wing to be far more versatile than I would have ever thought.

The issue about the bp is it's strength which is also it's weakness. It offers great support but is also locks your body up like a metal cast, you don't find any flexibility in or out of the water and worst of all, if you wanted to lower the waist straps to somewhere around your hips you'll end up with a harness that's too loose on your shoulders.

I'm looking at the pictures of the TransPac was wondering if I could use an after market smaller wing like a doughnut 360 45 lbs? On the photos there appears to be a gap between the harness and the back pad so is that how it prevents tacoing?

Lastly, if I'm able to use a 360 wing won't that mean I won't be able to use the butt plate as it seems to be bolted on top of the harness?

Since, this is my first sm I wanted to make sure I find out as much as possible before getting another piece of gear. Btw, I understand Netdoc has quite a bit of success with the zeagle express tech and I was wondering if anyone here has tried to make it work with a bm doubles setup?

Many thanks,

SangP

I am using the OMS setup with the Tesseract Wing and their addition. On my last trip, I started in Backmount doubles, then went sidemount using the OMS sidemount system and then removed that and put on an STA for a round of single tank dives. I found the system worked well for all three. I have an aluminum BP.

The OMS sidemount system is a bit bulky to pack compared to other systems but seems to stay secure to the wing and worked well in the water.

You know, it would be really cool if you guys set up a poll . . . . :D

FWIW Sang I know a few guys using the transpak and not adding the plate and they dive double LP95s. It works fine for them but I personally have not tried it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom