Brightest LED that uses AA batteries for night snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) Remove the top 4 screws on the head of the light. This will allow you to remove the stock optics.
2) The stock optics consists of a chrome reflector and a transparent "lens"
3) Once these are removed, you can remove two silver colored screws to separate the head from the battery holder (this will make it much easier to work with when soldering)
4) You can also remove the black plastic insert that centers the LED emitter on the board.
5) There are just two solder connections to desolder and remove the old emitter from the board.
6) Add a bit of thermal paste to the bottom of your new emitter and solder it into place. I found this was easiest if you place the new emitter in the plastic insert to ensure that it is properly centered.
7) Re-assemble light.

1) Remove the top 4 screws on the head of the light. This will allow you to remove the stock optics.
2) The stock optics consists of a chrome reflector and a transparent "lens"
3) Once these are removed, you can remove two silver colored screws to separate the head from the battery holder (this will make it much easier to work with when soldering)
4) You can also remove the black plastic insert that centers the LED emitter on the board.
5) There are just two solder connections to desolder and remove the old emitter from the board.
6) Add a bit of thermal paste to the bottom of your new emitter and solder it into place. I found this was easiest if you place the new emitter in the plastic insert to ensure that it is properly centered.
7) Re-assemble light.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks YuccaPatrol for the instructions, I was able to make the mod in no time. Here are the photos for my mod..

Attachments

• step1_4_screws.jpg
    step1_4_screws.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 91
  • step2_deflector.jpg
    step2_deflector.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 105
  • step3_parts.jpg
    step3_parts.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 96
  • step4_ledremoved.jpg
    step4_ledremoved.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 101
Hi, I wonder if anyone had compared burn time before and after the mod. Will the MOD shorten burn time of a PT torch? I suppose the SSC P4 emitter operates at a higher wattage than the default one in this case?

The P4 emitter is more efficient than the stock one, so the runtime will be about the same but it will be brighter.

This is what many have found who have changed out the same emitters in the Princeton Tec Apex headlamps. . .

Hi guys
first of all thanks a lot for the LED replacement guide - very interesting!

Recently I bought the Princeton Tec Torrent LED 95 lumen (the new model), and after reading your posts I have decided to replace the LED with a Seoul P4.

Then...SURPRISE! The LED mounted looks exactly like the Seoul P4; here are some pictures I got, please could you give your opinion?

So, if the LED is Seoul P4, do you know another way to improve the brightness of the LED?

Thanks in advance for the answers :D
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

You might want to do your homework a bit better. Ikelite has LED lights in the PC, PCa, PCm, and C8 models.

The Priceton-Tec is rated at 47 lumans.

The Ikelites are not LEDs, so they have only a few hours of charge and I believe you will find the website claims not to use rechargeable batteries with the PCa/PCm.

The UK Mini Q40 eLED plus is rated at 40 lumans

So of those listed the Priceton-Tec looks to be your best bet.

If you want really high power the Dive Rite LED 500 is about 10 times the light on AA batteries, but also about 10 times the cost

I'm sure they currently offer LEDs, but did they several years ago when this thread started?

Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering the PT Torrent LED and the new Ikelite PC-a LED. I have a strong feeling that the Ikelite will be the superior model, but am also hopeful that the PT model will be easily modifiable with a brighter LED emitter similar to other PT lights that I have modified.

I'll return the lesser light to the dealer and replace it with the better one.

I can't find any specifications for the new Ikelite, but the "5Watt" LED sounds like it might be one of the newer versions and no modifications will be necessary. . .

I thought you are looking for the brightest LED bulb: X1-VB(3AA)

Max. brightness: >17500 Lux and with adjustable beam

Sorry, but i see your thread only now.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom