Nekton (Bad News)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too hope all the liveboard companies are following this thread. They can learn alot about their customers wants and needs.

It's not like it's rocket science:
1. Don't let your boats & equipment run down
2. Pay your crew, which keeps everyone on board happy
3. Offer awesome destinations for reasonable prices
4. Don't screw your customers

The problem seems to arise when the numbers are not adding up for an adequate profit margin. I would like to see the liveaboards increase the price as NEEDED. If they get greedy, the free market will come to bear on them. I really hate it when a bussiness goes the other way. If they see a decrease in customers or increase in expenses, they decide to screw over the very customers they still have by giving a less expensive product for the same price. In this situation, repeat customers feel like they are the victim of bait and switch.

Last edited:
I just read about the Nekton bankruptcy ...... so sad. I haven't dived with them in a while but have video of several great trips taken on their boats from years past. I really enjoyed the shark dives where we sat on the bottom and watched the beasts swim around us. I heard that they were having problems but hoped they could find a way out.

The problem seems to arrive when the numbers are not adding up for an adequate profit margin. I would like to see the liveaboards increase the price as NEEDED. If they get greedy, the free market will come to bear on them. I really hate it when a bussiness goes the other way. If they see a decrease in customers or increase in expenses, they decide to screw over the very customers they still have by giving a less expensive product for the same price. In this situation, repeat customers feel like they are the victim of bait and switch.

the point I was trying to make is that other liveaboards can learn from all the issues Nekton had and DESPITE all of them, customers were loyal to the end. I think all of the Nekton regulars would have stuck with the company if they saw any hope of recovery, too. Nekton offered a unique dive experience that many of us loved and it will be sorely missed.

robin:D

Robint,

You are correct. Many of us did stick with them to the end even though we knew the Rorqual had issues. I will miss the stability of the boat but mostly will miss the dive locations in the Southern Bahamas that no one else goes to. I had signed up for Medio reef specifically because no one goes there.

Don

Robint,

You are correct. Many of us did stick with them to the end even though we knew the Rorqual had issues. I will miss the stability of the boat but mostly will miss the dive locations in the Southern Bahamas that no one else goes to. I had signed up for Medio reef specifically because no one goes there.

Don

Hmmm. Perhaps a business opportunity...

Hmmm. Perhaps a business opportunity...

yes, indeed.... we were on the very first official Nekton trip to Medio Reef, loved it, loved it, would do it again. my trip report, photos and videos: http://www.rnrscuba.net/NektonRorqual_TripReport.html

We did the Cay Sal route a few years before that and also thought it was primo. :D Another liveaboard could surely pick up some customers who feel the same way.

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom