Just curious about quality regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laredo Scuba Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which regulator do you feel works the best, Aqualung or Sherwood? Please give an unbiased opinion based on facts. :idk:

Laredo Scuba Diver

I love my Legend LX, can't speak for Sherwood.

ALL regulators work. If a company's regs didn't, they'd sued out of existence. "Better" is so subjective and dependent upon your particular diving, that it's really a meaningless question.

What kind of info are you really looking for?

Now for the other side of the (two-headed) coin --
The only breathing I've done on Aqualung regs was during OOA drills.
Sherwood regs are fairly popular up here in the Great Lakes, particularly the Blizzard. They are good breathers, nearly bulletproof, easy to maintain and relatively cheap to service. I own three Blizzards and they've done everything I've asked without a hitch.

Last edited:
Atomic! End of discussion.

To me that is a very loaded question. This could be comparing strawberrys with Strawberry pop-tarts. There are several different levels of regulators. Are theses the oen you are asking about because they are the one your LDS services, the ones a buddy is selling, the ones in your price range or other reasons.

Right now if I were in the market for a new reg it would be a ScubaPro mk25/G250V or Atomic ST1.

There are a lot of very good regs out there. I just happened to start off with Aqualung, and that's what I've stuck with simply because I want all my regs to be one brand for ease of servicing and repair. My LX and LX Supremes have worked flawlessly for me as have my Titan LXs that I use for deco regs.

That's not to say that Sherwood or any other brand is better or worse. What you should be looking at (IMHO) should depend more on what kind of diving you're doing. Typical recreational diving doesn't necessarily require a high-end reg. Unless you're servicing your own I'd suggest seeing what your LDS has to offer.

If you're doing nothing more than "typical" recreational diving I'd suggest getting a workhorse type reg like my Titans. Your biggest decision is probably going to be choosing between diaphragm vs. piston & balanced vs. unbalanced. Manufacturer is not nearly as important.

I'm sure your LDS can help you in your selection based on the type of diving you do. Before going and talking to them do a little research online. There's plenty of info available. Go prepared and then if you end up talking to a salesperson who doesn't really know as much as you'd like you'll be knowledgeable enough to know when to ask to speak to someone else. :wink:

Which regulator do you feel works the best, Aqualung or Sherwood? Please give an unbiased opinion based on facts. :idk:

Laredo Scuba Diver

I think the upper end Aqualung's will beat the Sherwoods out in most any comparison.

I've got an AL Legend LX and it is a GREAT regulator. but with that said, I've become very unimpressed with Aqualung and their dealer bullying and pricing policies that I doubt that I'll ever tell folks "you've got to buy this" or buy another of their product myself.

One other thing to look at with the Sherwoods, is the manufacturer doesn't say that some of their reg's are "nitrox ready" out of the box. They want you to buy a $150 "nitrox upgrade kit" (installed price I think) to be able to do what every other manufacturer includes as part of the initial purchase price. So while I have thought Sherwood was decent equipment in the past, I think their current Nitrox parts issue is pretty lame to do that to their paying customers.

Many other brands out there that'd I'd check into before these two brands. IJS...

Atomic! End of discussion.

Now, is Atomic made by Aqualung, or Sherwood? I forget.

The Titan LX's are great workhorse regs. All of my doubles regs are US Divers Conshelfs which are the same basic regulator. I like them a lot. They breathe well and are easily serviced. They have used the same rebuild kit for years and can be serviced all over the world and I don't expect Aqualung to quit supporting them any time soon. (it would mean stopping support for their entire line of regulators) They are also reasonably priced. They don't allow their authorized dealers to conduct internet sales and they don't sell service parts to ordinary humans. These last two points are why some people won't do business with them. You can do a search in the regulator forum for more info.

I don't see that many Sherwood's around where I dive and I don't personally know anyone that uses them so I can't speak to their reliability, serviceability, etc. I've heard they are good cold water regs, however.

Back
Top Bottom