Madison Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chase down Ltstanfo on this site. He plays with a lot of different vintage equipment.

Ask and ye shall receive! :D

So, what is your "poison"? Royal Aquamaster, UDS-1, ABS, Mistral, Dacor Nautulus? I could go on... :wink:

I've used all the above at the Madison Quarry over the years and it is fun. In general, you don't see that much "vintage" gear around these parts mostly because people don't have any or don't know how to use it. Britt will let you dive the old gear at the quarry, just do him a favor and let him check it out before you jump in.

I help the other Huntsville shop, SDI, with their monthly webcast and do a "vintage corner" segment. We recently aired two segments, one on how to dive a double hose rig (single tank, old school) and the other on the UDS-1.

So, what do you want to dive?

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Ask and ye shall receive! :D

So, what is your "poison"? Royal Aquamaster, UDS-1, ABS, Mistral, Dacor Nautulus? I could go on... :wink:

. . . So, what do you want to dive?

Regards,
Ltstanfo

I recently took a renewed interest in old school gear thanks in part to the Vintage section on this forum. Did some eBay shopping over the past few weeks to put together my own vintage setup, which so far includes an Aquamaster, old steel 72 and backpack, and a horsecollar BC. I figured the quarry would be an ideal place to try it out once I have it all inspected and serviced.

Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be ostracized if I show up with this old stuff. But heck, even my "modern" rig is almost vintage by difinition - it's all the very same gear I started out diving with back in the early 80's.

You will not be ostracized by any means. In fact, your "old school" rig will probably get you some attention. There is interest in old gear among divers but few apparently are willing to do what it takes to use it. It's always easier to look at someone else's vintage scuba equipment than work on it / take the risk yourself. ;-)

When you get to the quarry, ask for Britt and let him inspect your gear. He just wants to be sure you won't drown when you jump in. It's bad for business after all. :p

Maybe I'll see you out there this weekend. I'll be on site Sunday morning doing some practice diving for my TDI tech class. Once I finish this class, I'll take a break and dive vintage for a while. :)

(From our email list)

It looks like things are getting busy at the quarry this year. One of our Divemasters is retired and is willing to open the quarry for everyone on Fridays and Mondays. Starting this Friday ( 2 July 2010 ) we will have the quarry open from 11 AM until 5 PM on Fridays and Mondays. We will open on Saturday and Sunday at 9 AM. The admission prices are the same, $20 for divers, $10 for snorkelers, and $10 extra for night dives on Saturday. The SCUBA Snacks will only be open on Saturday and Sunday.

Also, for the 4th of July weekend, the SCUBA Snacks will be closed, D and Lorie need a break and plan to go diving at Pelham. If you plan to eat this weekend, you are welcome to bring food and a grill (please take your ashes with you, we haven't got a place to put them and they cant go in the water).

Dive Sports is planning on the night dive and cook out on 1st of July, Call them at (800) 601-3483 or (256) 350-1122 and make arrangements to come out on Thursday if you haven't already.

I hope everyone is having a great dive season, dont forget to hit the other quarries such as ABWA, Penny Royal, etc. and remember, be a Better Diver (shamless plug was intentional).

Britt,

My thanks to you and Dive Sports for the (as always) great cookout and night dive(s) on 01 July! Great food, company and diving... what more can you ask?

I'm glad to hear that you will be able to open the quarry on Mondays and Fridays as well as the regular hours (Sat-Sun). Leaving work on a Friday afternoon just got a whole lot more fun...

See you at the quarry this weekend,

Ltstanfo

Britt, nice to have the Quarry open on Monday. Good crowd and water is warming up.

Britt,

Sunday's dive at the quarry was great, even if the vis was not (lots of new students). It was good to see the quarry so crowded and it was really great to see a rebreather on site.

I'm looking forward to this coming Saturday when the snack shack will be cooking their kabobs.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Ltstanfo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom