Anyone have a supplier for 'generic' VIS stickers ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yearly internal inspection has been SOP for university programs and NOAA since the early 1970s. Bill High took the procedure(s) from NOAA out to the dive industry in (I believe) the mid 1980s.

1.) drain tank.
2.) remove valve.
3.) shine light in tank for 5 seconds. ..... "ok, this one looks ok"
4.) re-install valve and slap on sticker.

and I paid $15 bucks EACH for THAT? :shakehead:

Same here. Sport Chalet. And then although I asked for an air fill when I picked them up i was charged $14 each for a nitrox fill since they were "Oxygen Clean" (sticker from 2004) And another $3 each for new oring. Add in the cost of gas and I was at about $42 a a tank.

So I got a compressor, at those rates it becomes cost effective real quick. And they wonder why they are being driven out of business.

VIP's were mentioned in our 1977 training. A picture was shown of the trunk of a 1960 Pontiac blown apart from a failed rusty tank. The plastic-lined tank and the aluminum tank entered the market with rust-free as an attribute. Not all compressed air was up to today's standards and that may have contributed to the need for inspections.

Annual VIPs are not just a way for dive shops to suck money out of your wallet.

Annual VIPs arose in the 1970s to ensure the safety of fill station operators. Cylinder corrosion was noted to weaken cylinders and, in fact, several cylinders did explode while being filled. Numerous people were maimed in the explosions.

Fill station operators have a dangerous job. But they can confidently fill people's cylinders because the valid hydro stamp and a valid VIP sticker make it less likely that the cylinder will explode and rip off their limbs.

Back in the 1970s the US Navy hired a consultant to investigate scuba cylinder corrosion and its effect on cylinder integrity. One of the recommendations of the consultants was a system of annual cylinder inspections to prevent explosions.

I think all fill station operators would be very angry at the thought that someone would put "generic" VIP stickers on cylinders to enable them to avoid spending the time or money on real, valid inspections.

If you own so many cylinders, then you should take responsibility for those cylinders. Either put up the money to keep your cylinders safe for the fill station operators -- or buy your own compressor and assume the explosion risk yourself.

Annual VIPs are not just a way for dive shops to suck money out of your wallet.
If you own so many cylinders, then you should take responsibility for those cylinders. Either put up the money to keep your cylinders safe for the fill station operators -- or buy your own compressor and assume the explosion risk yourself.
or take the PSI course and get some tools.

The last time I took my HP 100's in for a legitimate viz after I tumbled them I was informed they "were the cleanest" they had ever seen.

And I do inspect them religiously.

Yearly internal inspection has been SOP for university programs and NOAA since the early 1970s. Bill High took the procedure(s) from NOAA out to the dive industry in (I believe) the mid 1980s.

"Inspecting Cylinders" Bill High, First Edition copyright 1986.

I thought Mike told me they were doing continues blending prior to the tank of any
mix you want? Rick wouldn't fill our single tanks but would fill the doubles sincewe didn't have nitrox bands. What sucks is I had called before making the two hour trek there and confirmed they would fill our non O2 cleaned tanks. I haven't been back since...

I was just over at Dolphin Scuba, Stockton, and confirmed with Mike that they only do partial pressure blending at that shop. I still don't know anything about the Sacramento store.

Richard

I was just over at Dolphin Scuba, Stockton, and confirmed with Mike that they only do partial pressure blending at that shop. I still don't know anything about the Sacramento store.

Richard
Interesting that any major shop would only offer partial pressure blending. Banking 32% makes more sense. Then again they can charge $$$ for O2 cleaning...

Thanks for the reply Richard.

Interesting that any major shop would only offer partial pressure blending. Banking 32% makes more sense. Then again they can charge $$$ for O2 cleaning...

Thanks for the reply Richard.

Partial pressure blending is cheaper on the shop in capital expenditures.

32% banks costs money...... because you'd need air banks also.

Then how to fill the Nitrox banks? Partial Pressure blending filling of the tanks waste a lot of gas if you have to fully empty to fill from scratch. You can do the math and fill by adding o2 to a low bank. but that's hassles also. Or you need something that can pump nitrox to fill them or to 'boost'. (more money).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom