Which sidemount to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are experiencing one of the exciting things (for me at least) about the current state of sidemount equipment development. While the rapid introduction of commercial SM rigs (Nomad, Razor, RECON, Armadillo, PROFILE, etc) has increased the ‘accessibility’ of SM to a broader audience of divers, the development is in some ways still in its adolescence, and there is a lot of appeal to ‘gearheads’ (I say that positively, as I fear I am one) – people who want to tweak their set up, refine it, experiment with it, etc. I did a presentation on sidemount diving last night to our scuba club, and had a conversation afterward with a member who is a very enthusiastic vintage equipment diver, about the similarities between vintage and SM in this regard. For the vintage folks, a bit of engineering goes on, because parts and specific equipment may no longer be commercially available. For SM, a bit of engineering goes on, because what is available may not suit everyone and it is fun to try different alterations. So, we benefit from the years/decades of tweaking and refining that people like Lamar Hines and Steve Bogaerts have done on their own gear, but still find ways to try and improve commercial rigs to meet our own individual needs.

Colliam, you just put into words one of the aspects of diving I like so much, Thanks.

Right, I understand that. I believe this is the unit you are referring to (but please correct me if I have misunderstood).

bpsms.jpg

I don't remember his name but I spoke to the guy who designed that thing, at the Tacoma dive show. He spent some time going through it all, describing how it resolved the tacoing wing problem and how he rerouted the bungies for the wing etc... Small world.

Yes, that's it, plus you have your BP/Wing. Its more bulky then the systems that just have the buttplate portion. I have been happy with the rig to date but to be honest, I haven't had any experience with smaller, more streamlined options.

Right, I understand that. I believe this is the unit you are referring to (but please correct me if I have misunderstood).

bpsms.jpg

That is why I was asking what was so cumbersome about packing it. I want to get a PROFILE and try it out since it appears to allow a diver to potentially marry their BP/W with a sidemount sytem. We carry Dive Rite and a little bit of OMS gear in the shop, and I want to gain some experience with the OMS approach, in case we have someone ask for it. So, I was curious about your experience.

Where can I find one of these? The only place I saw it was on LP but their site says they had none in stock.

Where can I find one of these? The only place I saw it was on LP but their site says they had none in stock.
Good question. I called OMS yesterday and, even thopugh it wasn't quite 5:30 they appeared to have closed for the day. If I have no luck this AM I will try Bill Routh, at Off the Wall Dive Charters in SC - (864) 944-9255. He is probably the best source of infor, and gear, for the OMS SM line that I know of.

I don't remember his name but I spoke to the guy who designed that thing, at the Tacoma dive show. He spent some time going through it all, describing how it resolved the tacoing wing problem and how he rerouted the bungies for the wing etc... Small world.

Any specifics you remember, particularly in regards to bungee configuration?

OMS really sucks as far as getting accurate info from them goes..

Good question. I called OMS yesterday and, even thopugh it wasn't quite 5:30 they appeared to have closed for the day. If I have no luck this AM I will try Bill Routh, at Off the Wall Dive Charters in SC - (864) 944-9255. He is probably the best source of infor, and gear, for the OMS SM line that I know of.

Good Stuff....keep me in the loop, I'm interested in checking this out! Thanks!

Any specifics you remember, particularly in regards to bungee configuration?

Not really sorry. I didn't pay too much attention as I don't have a wing with bungies. I seem to recall it had something to do with crisscrossing the bungies (but I could very well be wrong about that) in order to make the wing curl inward as it collapsed instead of just scrunching up (again, don't quote me on that).
The top of the back pad wraps over top of the wing and is secured by two loops onto the shoulder webbing.

I remember thinking how simple a solution it was and how I (and probably everyone else who has ever wondered about SM with a wing) had thought of making a plate to bolt over the wing to prevent tacoing and here was just such a product all wrapped up in Cordura.
And, of course, I was thinking how I could make one myself instead of buying it.
Then I remembered I have a horsecollar and don't need a wing to sidemount anyways.

Then I remembered I have a horsecollar and don't need a wing to sidemount anyways.

Doesn't that make you bottom heavy?

Yeah it sounds like you need a bungee-wing with it, while I'd like to use something like a Mach V. Could be rigged of course, just need to add tabs. Now only if you could actually get them!

that's who I purchased mine from.

How much experience do you have with the three SM kits you mentioned?

Somewhere a around 30-50 dives between the 3, including using 2 stages. I realize that I by no means am an expert, and have waaay less dives in SM as most others on this post, I only offer comment based on what I have done/seen. Maybe someone new to the config may find them useful, or not. Happy diving!

Hi guys,

I didn't realized that this discussion is still going on and I in another thread I finally decided to make my own harness to fit the recon wing.

Some of these photos don't show the full rigging as I have yet to rec my low profile D rings and it was late so....

All the components are made out of 3mm thick 316 SS and it is very, very tough.

Anyway, here goes:

Skeleton Harness
skeletonharness01.jpg

Skeleton Harness Recon Wing Back
skeletonharnessreconwin.jpg

Skeleton Harness Recon Wing Front
skeletonharnessreconwin.jpg

Skeleton Harness Web Weaving
skeletonharnesswebweavi.jpg

Any advice guys?

SangP

Back