SSI nitrox chapter three questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TNdiver6387

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
If this is in the wrong forum, please move it.

I'm taking my nitrox class tomorrow, and I am working on the homework questions tonight. Chapters 1 2 and 4 were no problem, but some of the questions in chapter 3 have a LOT of blanks, and the number of blanks doesn't really line up with the text. I understand the topics the questions are about, but I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly what words they're looking for to fit the blanks.

I took my open water class at my college, and in that class a LOT of people had the same problem with some of the questions. When I went back and helped with a class later, a LOT of the people in that section had similar issues.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Well one of the stranger ones is 7. a cylinder contents tag should include the _______,___________,__________,_____________ and _____________.

the text says it needs the FO2 and MOD, who analyzed the cylinder and when they did it. It also says it should include the limiting PO2 value used for the MOD since the numbers may be for 1.6 even though alot of people try to stay at 1.3 or 1.4. I know the information, just cant figure out exactly how they want it plugged into the blanks.

another question 2. When using scuba equipment for nitrox diving, it is important that you comply with ___________ and ______________ and follow ______________. I am pretty sure the last blank is manufacturer's specifications, but the first two blanks need some variation of local laws, regulations, and standards of practices among dive operators. The third thing in that list really doesn't seem as though it would fit in the blank, but who knows which of those things they want, or if they want us to put the comma in our self even though they provide so many in other questions.

Don’t you love “regurgitation” questions? Questions like these are designed to make you review the text. That’s why it’s HOMEwork. The language in the question is typically very close to verbatim from the text so all you have to do is reread the chapter to find the text in the question. I didn’t take my NITROX with SSI so I can’t give you the answers, nor would I anyway. If you can’t find exactly what they are looking for in the blanks I would just put in what you think it should be. If it shows the instructor you know the material I expect you will be OK. If a lot of people have similar problems completing the assignment then it sounds like the questions are poorly constructed. That’s very common with SCUBA instructional material.

Well one of the stranger ones is 7. a cylinder contents tag should include the _______,___________,__________,_____________ and _____________.

the text says it needs the FO2 and MOD, who analyzed the cylinder and when they did it. It also says it should include the limiting PO2 value used for the MOD since the numbers may be for 1.6 even though alot of people try to stay at 1.3 or 1.4. I know the information, just cant figure out exactly how they want it plugged into the blanks.

Based on your reading of the text: FO2, MOD and associated PO2, Initials and Date will fill in those five blanks.

Personally, I only write the mix (FO2), initials and date.

another question 2. When using scuba equipment for nitrox diving, it is important that you comply with ___________ and ______________ and follow ______________. I am pretty sure the last blank is manufacturer's specifications, but the first two blanks need some variation of local laws, regulations, and standards of practices among dive operators. The third thing in that list really doesn't seem as though it would fit in the blank, but who knows which of those things they want, or if they want us to put the comma in our self even though they provide so many in other questions.

Possibly DOT and CGA regulation and standards.

I wouldn't sweat it too much answering in their format. As long as your show that you understand the material, these specific details aren't particularly important.

if you re-read the book I would bet you find the exact answer written.

I had a problem with 2 of the PADI NITROX questions and put my case to my instructor (which I'm sure he goes one of these per week :p) and he agreed the question was stupid and we just changed the answer.

at the end of the day it's more important to understand the theory than answer 20 questions.

the questions for nitrox did not match word for word. They do want you to think about them. I had the same concerns that I was missing something when I took that class.

Don’t you love “regurgitation” questions? Questions like these are designed to make you review the text. That’s why it’s HOMEwork. The language in the question is typically very close to verbatim from the text so all you have to do is reread the chapter to find the text in the question.
I read the chapter through multiple times, the answer was not there verbatim or even particularly close to the text in the question. I graduated college with a biology and chemistry degree, I understand the concept of homework. As it turns out, the instructor answer sheet for question seven, only has FOUR parts. I saw it with my own eyes.

If a lot of people have similar problems completing the assignment then it sounds like the questions are poorly constructed. That’s very common with SCUBA instructional material.
There were two of us in the class, the other guy had the same issues with the same questions I did. As I said previously, even their answer only had four parts, not the five suggested by the blanks. That looks to me like pretty poor construction . . . . not lack of reading the material.

Anyway, long story short, the instructor said him self the questions were a little crazy, discussed the answers with both of us, and I passed the test with out missing a question. We both had one slight hickup on the last question, that he said almost everyone had because of the structure of the question, and after one very minor hint in the right direction we both figured it out in a matter of seconds. Card should be here with in a week or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom