AKR in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba1456

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok i have never been to Roatan but have always wanted to go. So my kids got together and are sending my Wife and I for our 30th anniversery to AKR but its in Nov. over the Thanksgiving break.

That in itself is not a big deal but I wonder how rainy it will be.?

Also with all the wet weather will that bring on more No see um's?

How will the diving be if it's raining alot?

wouldit make any sence to spend the money for the change fees and book it in march or April?

I think you've got a fairly good chance of having great weather at that time of year.
If I was making odds I'd say figure on having 2 rainy days in that week - AKR should take you to the South side if it's ruff on North.....

No-see-em's won't be at their worst - if you are staying on the land side of AKR you won't have much problem with them - if you are on the KEY you will know they are around...

Rain will hurt the visibility from run-off, but diving should still be good.....

Roatan winter isn't Monsoon time - If you follow the winter weather paterns in Texas you can ususally expect what ever they had 2 days ago to be what you have in Roatan today....

Again Late November isn't that bad a time to go to Roatan - Mid Dec to Mid Jan is when you have the worst chance of bad weather.

Hope this helps - Hope you have a great trip....

Howie

Pssst..... Howie..... This was the thing that I posted the hotlink for... in case you didn't see it....

Averages from a SEVEN-YEAR PERIOD

Month.... Average Temp... Average inches of rain... Average rainy days
January......76.9.........................12.18... .........................13
February.....78.6..........................3.52... ...........................8
March.........80.6..........................2.66.. ............................4
April...........82.0.............................9 .6.............................3
May............83.4..........................2.11. ............................4
June...........84.4...........................2.22 .............................5
July............84.4...........................6.3 5.............................11
August........84.4...........................5.21. ............................11
September...85.0..........................4.99.... ..........................7
October.......82.4...........................14.97 ............................14
November....79.1...........................19.89.. ..........................18
December....78.0............................14.26. ..........................16

Thanks for the Chart Roatanman. I kind of heard it was one of he wetest months.
HowieDean. I like personal observation too. The anaiversery is the day after thanksgiving. So I know what the kids were thinking but ..... i don't want to be going on a dive trip and not able to be diving. I have heard that they would likley ferry us around to the otherside of the island if its rough.

My wife also loves to snorkle and swim. is she going to have to be content with diving or is the snokleing going to be ok too!

Also, I know just because its raining doesn't automaticlly mean bad diving. some of my best cold water dives have been in abolute torents in the seattle area. I just know that with rain alot of time comes bad weather (stormy seas) and would prefer to not deal withnot beable to get out from the dock due to high seas.

While these are averages from La Ceiba rather than Roatan, Ceiba is pretty darn close distance( 45 +_ Miles) and weatherwise to Roatan , a whole lot closer for comparing weather than Texas. Ceiba Weather Averages .

Roatan winter isn't Monsoon time
Winter in Roatan is the closest thing to monsoon season that Roatan has with November typically the worst

Again Late November isn't that bad a time to go to Roatan - Mid Dec to Mid Jan is when you have the worst chance of bad weather.

Heck, Just last November, Saturday after Thanksgiving, we circled the Roatan airport for hours due to weather before we diverted to Belize and had to spend the night there
Christmass and New Year vertually always suck and Thanksgiving is usually great
Things get fuzzy after the last few years but the past three have seen a whole lot of Rain this time of year, From my personal experience:wink:
While there is a chance it will be nice the odds are not in your favor, often the winter rains will also be heavy enough to cause runoff issues as well. Many with tourism buisiness' or invested in the tourism industry will often push the issue that "it's weather , unpredictable, it may be great, Etc," yet the fact remains, It is THE wettest time of the year. I am often there through the Thanksgiving and Christmas Hollidays and would never hessitate to go at that time but I spend 3-4 months a year on the Island throughout the year, I would not reccomend that time of year for someone spending only one special week on the Island.

Last edited:
Christmass and New Year vertually always suck and Thanksgiving is usually great...

I think it's that yummy Turkey (I see those hat feathers) that has got you~ and just because Sanata Claus don't like ya'....

Scuba 1456:
I have heard that they would likley ferry us around to the otherside of the island if its rough. My wife also loves to snorkle and swim. is she going to have to be content with diving or is the snokleing going to be ok too!

AKR will certainly do that, they might even bus you around and meet you over there. Not every North Side operation will/can do that.

Snorkeling from AKR is marginal. Swimming would be ill advised especially if the weather kicks up.

Scuba 1456:
Also, I know just because its raining doesn't automaticlly mean bad diving. some of my best cold water dives have been in abolute torents in the seattle area

Maybe in the Caribbean it will have greater impact than you are used to in Seattle. You are in a near shore niche environment where fish and critters come in close to feed and make little fish. A few degrees of water temperature and change in salinity can bugger things up for quite a time.

Here is the conundrum of Roatan, well, here's one of a list anyway....

After a heavy rain, the clarity of the North Side (AKR and points East) returns more quickly because of the wind and wave/current action which is more prevalent in that area, and the fact that there is substantially less sedimentation off of that side... because there has been so much storm impact over the years (the soft soil and disturbed earth has been blown South over the ridge line for millenia)

The fish and critters have still been given a good shake-up, and it will take them time to return, but after a period of calm weather, they will fairly quickly.

RTBDiver:
....Things get fuzzy after the last few years but...

This is likely an effect of Salva Vida Beer and Nitrogen Lesions on the brain. That, and the general calming, soporific effect of the Bay Islands. Works for me.

Some of the most interesting diving occurs in March through September in the Bay Islands. Lots of critters doing a lot more of their annual thing.

Yeah, some northern sites will wash out due to erosion with rain. We skipped Spooky Channel on this past trip due to heavy rains the night prior.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom