Need gray's reef info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a loooooooooooooooong boat ride!!!.

Be prepared for some pretty good swells, also.

Every time I've been out to Grey's Reef the swells were at least 6'.

the K

That's a loooooooooooooooong boat ride!!!.

Be prepared for some pretty good swells, also.

Every time I've been out to Grey's Reef the swells were at least 6'.

the K

Kraken pretty much nailed it on the head.

Gray's reef is like "The Wizard Of Oz" and NOAA is the man behind the curtain blowing all the tax payers money with Obama's big government writting the check.
Less than 1 percent of the reef is actual live bottom. I dove georgia for 25 years and there are much better places there to dive. However be ready for a LOOOOONG boat ride. The vis is better here in Jax and the ride is about half the distance.

Thanks

Kraken pretty much nailed it on the head.

Gray's reef is like "The Wizard Of Oz" and NOAA is the man behind the curtain blowing all the tax payers money with Obama's big government writting the check.
Less than 1 percent of the reef is actual live bottom. I dove georgia for 25 years and there are much better places there to dive. However be ready for a LOOOOONG boat ride. The vis is better here in Jax and the ride is about half the distance.

Thanks
Any updates on boat operators for 2023 that go to Grey’s Reef?

Lattitude 31 is the one I am aware of.

That's what I found the last time I looked into this also, about a year ago. And they also only go out there 3-5 times a month, 5 months a year, and usually not 2 days in a row - so no multiple trip weekends (and it's $200, not including tanks). The diving also looks decent but not necessarily great, from videos that I've seen.

For me, all of the above makes it not worth a special trip -- while Gray's Reef is closer, if I'm traveling I'd rather go to Florida where I can get 2 or 3 days (or more) in a row, and cheaper. YMMV, probably worth trying if you are local. Latitude 31 has posted their 2023 diving schedule to their Facebook page, which for some reason I'm not being allowed to post directly to that post, but here's the link to their Facebook page, and you'll need to scroll down to May 24th to see their post with the schedule:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom