Disassemble BP/W for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just make a bag that goes around your entire BP/W, with slots for your shoulder straps to come out. Then, put the rest of your carryon stuff into the bag. Viola! The carryon BP!

Just curious, why? Theft concerns?

No, I've got the trip from hell coming up in two weeks, and I want to make sure my stuff gets there with me.

And I guess it's a challenge - to see if I can do it. The whole enchilada* in one carryon bag.

* BP/W, reg, computer, 3M wetsuit, fins, mask, booties, clothes, books, bug stuff, toothbrush, soap, etc. etc. etc.

No, I've got the trip from hell coming up in two weeks, and I want to make sure my stuff gets there with me.

And I guess it's a challenge - to see if I can do it. The whole enchilada* in one carryon bag.

* BP/W, reg, computer, 3M wetsuit, fins, mask, booties, clothes, books, bug stuff, toothbrush, soap, etc. etc. etc.

Unless you are catching a military transport I would say you have your work cut-out for you! Good luck...

Bugout Bag - $89.95 : Bugout Gear, Shop Bugout Bags and Gear at BugoutGear.com

I use this as my dive gear bag, could possibly fit everything depending on the size of your fins. Ditching the wetsuit and renting on site (if possible) would clear up some space. Also, can the personal hygeine stuff not be acquired on site as well? Packing a lot of stuff into a small space is an exercise in creativity, packing efficiently on the other hand is an exercise in creativity AND brainpower.

Peace,
Greg

Carry-on limit is normally 7kg, so any diver would be hard pressed to get their entire kit, plus non-diving essentials within that limit.

Also bear in mind that most airlines & airports have strict limitations on carrying liquids and gels in carry-on. You could have your bug spray, toothpaste etc confiscated...

Greg's suggestion of the bug-out bag is very good. They are popular for flights, as carry on, where I currently work. Although the bag does weight 6.5lbs empty...and that can made a difference.

An alternative is a PVC type Expedition Bag. Northface make the 'Base Camp Duffle' bag. I've used one of these for hauling kit around all sorts of rough destinations.

thumbnail.aspx

My "travel wing" is an Oxy 18 Mach V with fabric Ultralight plate, soft webbing. The unit folds, rolls or lays pretty flat. The thing that adds the most bulk are the DR metal cambands, they are stiff, heavy. I may look into replacing those with something not so Mac Truck heavy duty. I also have the DR QR weight pockets so I don't have to fool with a weight belt. For travel diving in warm areas the imbalance is insignificant thus negating a weight belt for the 4 pounds I need.

N

Carry-on limit is normally 7kg, so any diver would be hard pressed to get their entire kit, plus non-diving essentials within that limit.

Also bear in mind that most airlines & airports have strict limitations on carrying liquids and gels in carry-on. You could have your bug spray, toothpaste etc confiscated...

Greg's suggestion of the bug-out bag is very good. They are popular for flights, as carry on, where I currently work. Although the bag does weight 6.5lbs empty...and that can made a difference.

An alternative is a PVC type Expedition Bag. Northface make the 'Base Camp Duffle' bag. I've used one of these for hauling kit around all sorts of rough destinations.

thumbnail.aspx

That duffel looks great. We have Aqualung duffels, but they are a pain to drag through airports, the zippers get damaged, and I'm looking for something with wheels like the Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler.

FYI - Continental lets you carry a 40-lb. carryon plus a small personal bag:

Carry-on Bag: Continental will permit one bag plus one personal item (see below), per customer to be carried on the aircraft. The maximum combined linear measurement (L + W + H) of the carry-on bag is 45 inches (115 cm)up to 14 in x 9 in x 22 in. The maximum weight of the carry-on bag is 40 pounds (18 kg).

I would think leaving back plate and harness intact (wings in checked baggage) within a carry-on including regs and computer would be a thoughtful way to travel these days...

That's how I take mine, piece of cake.

Carry-on limit is normally 7kg
Yes, here in Asia--and sometimes they actually check. It's still a free-for-all in the States as far as carry-on weight goes, but I can already hear the howling in the whine-and-cheese forum when they inevitably start to limit it there too.

I recently purchased a Dive Caddy, DiveCaddy.net, for my trip to Grand Cayman, and here is what I got in it, all as a carry on:

Tri fold portion:
bp/w
2- QLR weight pockets
XL Fins
Regulator, octo, etc
2- sidemount cam bands/clips
1- 3mm wetsuit
1- diveskin
pair of neoprene boots
snorkel
light gloves

Spider pack:
9- shirts
5- boxers
swimsuit
2 pair shorts

Turtle pack:
camera
u/w camera case
2- dive computers
2- masks
O2 analyzer
toiletries

I also carried a small regulator bag with 2 other regs as well. So, 3 regulator sets total-carry on.

I did check one small Pelican case with tools and large bottle of sunscreen and misc stuff that I could survive the trip without. The system is more expensive than the duffel mentioned previously, however, I could have done my entire 5 day trip with just what I had in the Dive Caddy. I took it as a carry on on the following planes:

MD-88- had to unclip spider pack and turtle pack and stow under set but all fit
737- fit in overhead bin, just took off spider pack to make it easier
CRJ, regional jet- took off turtle and spider pack put those in small overhead bin, put backpack underneath the seat.

I don't work for the company, I just had a good experience and thought you should take a look at it given your requirements. TSA and airline, Delta, did not hassle me at all. Had to do one inspection at TSA, but they just wanted to see the regs. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom