First time to 70'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You did better for your first time in a 7mm than I did, so don't feel like you're somehow a "failure" at diving. My first attempt at cold water diving, out off San Diego last year, ended up with two scrubbed dives. My first impression was that the wetsuit was a bit too small (felt like I couldn't breathe at all), though some here suggested it could also have been a form of anxiety due to first time in that thick of a wetsuit. Either way, the trip ended up with sitting atop the kelp forest instead of actually visiting it. The first attempt, I made it into the water, but didn't descend. Second attempt on the same boat trip, I didn't even make it off the boat.

Like you, I got to chalk it up to lessons learned. I was also a fairly new diver (I think I was up to maybe 15 or so logged dives at that point), and all my previous dives had been in the Sea of Cortez, in water warm enough that all I needed was a rashguard. I plan to try again for a visit to the kelp forest, but first, I think getting some experience in the 3mm wetsuit, and maybe some local lake experience with a 7mm, will be in order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom