Advice Needed - Diving Trip to Philippines in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the best (but expensive) way to travel between PG and manila is to arrange a private boat and car and try to arrange the drive at night when there is no traffic. travelling on a sunday will also be much faster.
but, since you have to fly to dumaguete from manila, it will also depend on the time of your flight. on the other hand, if you were to go to anilao instead of dumaguete, you wont have to fly so you dont have to miss a dive day and your travel time can be more flexible.

Hi Phil,
have a look at the Philippine Siren, They run trips at this time of the year between Boracay and Coron via Apo Reef. So you will have a good mix with great reefs at Apo reef and some ofthe wrecks in Coron. Please note that Apo reef is not the Apo Island close to Dumaguete

Thomas

We are based in Bohol in Anda which is an hour away from the touristy spots and beautiful. Very peaceful and remote. Great diving. Very good for reef fish and small things. Some bigger fish.

If you want to avoid the traffic to PG, take th seaplane or helicopter. Make the trip from Manila 40 minutes rather than the 3 hour drive and 1 hour boat ride. You did say budget was not a concern and by western standards not that expensive to avoid missing a day of diving in god's swimming pool. Verdi Island is worth the trip. Water temp in December will be 25 degrees.

if money is no concern, go for one week to puerto galera/sabang.

out of the blue or the el galleon annexe are good options for you. dive with asia divers. it is more like a factory in nowadays but groups are small and for a first timer in the phils you will like it.

then get a transfer to amanpulo by waterplane (they will pick you up in pg and bring you also back to manila)

if money all of a sudden becomes a concern as suggested, one week pg and second week anilao. not because diving is completely different, rather for beeing/seeing 2 destinations.

or if you have the possibility to fly in to cebu stay in the visayas. dauin and cabilao (not top top resort) or dauin and malapascua.

just realize that moving around does not incl. far distances but travel will eat away roughly a day

so as a first timer 2 weeks in pg or split as mentioned.

however i would strongly discourage diving in the philippins. once you start you can never stop!!!

Hi Phil,
I assume you had already bought the ticket otherwise.......Most resorts are fully booked over the Christmas and New Year periods, you have to act fast.
Winter(dry season) is the BEST time to dive in Philippines. You do not have to worry the typhoon.
For good diving with minimum of travelling between various destinations:
Manila
1. Anilao and Puerto Galera. Add Subic Bay if you do not mind the flying the ageing old seaplane.
Cebu
1. Malapascua and Camotes Island
2. Bohol, Siquejor and Dumaguette
3. Mactan and Moalboal
4. You can mix them all with Southern Leyte throw in as well!!!!

Malapascua would be my FIRST choice for big and small

If you want to minimize travel time and maximize diving, I'd make it a Visayas trip. No sitting out a day to fly. My last trip I did Dauin, Bohol, and Southern Leyte. You could also do Malapascua, Moalboal, Dauin, Bohol. It just depends on how many places you want to dive.

Fly into Cebu and then go from there. If I had only 2 weeks, I'd probably do Malapascua/Bohol(Panglao)/Dauin. Or you could split between Malpascua/Dauin. Depends on what you like though. I like Malapascua, but don't think I could handle a full two weeks there :wink:

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting to this group, and I would love some advice/suggestions if folks have a few minutes to write back :)

I'm looking to make a trip for two weeks in December (~ last 2 weeks of the month) to the Philippines and need some help....basic questions are as follows:

- What locations will have the best diving where I can maximize the most diving into two weeks and minimize traveling around a lot?
- Is this a good time of year to dive the Philippines weather-wise?

What I am looking for:

- Best combination of muck/macro and reef life/larger fish as well if possible
- Budget is no concern, looking for high end accommodations and/or high end liveaboard (if liveaboard prefer a boat that takes smaller number of divers)
- Prefer remote locations as far as way from crowds and large groups of tourists as possible

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some suggestions, and any feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

Best,
Phil

Hi Phil,

I make short trips over to Philippines for dive holidays whenever I get a chance as it's less than 2 hours flight from my Taiwan location

I was in Dumaguete/Negros three weeks back. To get there means landing in Manila + short flight to Dumaguete

Accomodation and Dives in Dumaguete for me all organised by Glenn who you can contact through Diveworx - Dive with Locals - Apo island - Dauin - Dumaguete City - Dive Safari , he works from Private Residence Dive & Spa Resort in Negros Oriental, Philippines

Excellent Muck diving just along the beach from that resort and trips over to Apo Island or other island to bring a great range of diving, walls, reefs, excellent. Couldn't fault the dive team, dives or hotel, and outside hotel just local style, no hoards of tourists at all.
---

Also been in Puerto Galera back in February this year. Getting there means land in Manila and the hotel would send a van to pick you up - and boat to take you over to the island. My dives all sorted out through La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre - Puerto Galera, Philippines Don't know if any muck diving there, but again couldn't fault the hotel, dive team or dives, plenty of variation, Verde dives being uforgetable. Bustling little town of Sabang for numerous restaurants and bars about 20 mins walk up the beach. While I was there in Feb, there were no hoards but it wasn't as quiet as Dumaguete.
---

Albeit the diving not as good as either of the above, Boracay I still rate as an ideal destination for holiday with some reasonable dive locations - infact I'm just mulling over my next escape for a short holiday over in Philippines and maybe Boracay on the cards again.

Worth your looking into Philippine Paradise Divers - ScubaBoard part of forum, many helpful Philippine based guys / gals in there

December - busy period but weather great.

Cheers

I agree also, great muck diving in Dauin. I was there the last week of December and spent New Years. I flew directly into Cebu (arrived in the evening from Tokyo). Caught the ferry to Dumaguete the next morning and was in the water diving at Dauin by lunch time. I dived with Mike's Dauin Beach Resort ( Mikes Dauin Beach Resort - Dumaguete, Philippines ) His is a brand new resort (just opened in November 2009). Nice people there. Bar/restaurant/and pool on site. Dauin is very peaceful. If you want some nightlife Mike can arrange transport into Dumaguete.

Yes, December can be busy but I did manage to set up my entire trip only 3 weeks ahead. Not recommending it but it is possible. Doing the trip on such short notice, Mike's was full, but he arranged a cottage right next door. Since you're arranging your trip so far in advance I don't expect it would be such a problem for you :wink:

I was told that the ferry sometimes sells out so best to buy ahead of time are be there very early. In my experience as long as I was early there wasn't a problem buying a ferry ticket.

Here are a few photos:
20774_278582469243_843784243_3196337_3759517_n.jpg

20774_278582484243_843784243_3196338_839209_n.jpg

20774_278582559243_843784243_3196344_3436584_n.jpg

20774_278582594243_843784243_3196349_728601_n.jpg

Check out Thresher Shark Divers site. They're on Malapascua, and there's great macro (flamboyant cuttlefish, bobtail squid, blue-ring octopus, seahorses, ghost pipefish & nudis etc), and great pelagic action (threshers, mantas, devil rays, white-tip reef sharks.)

Back
Top Bottom