Considering a move from Jacket to bp/wing .. need opinions please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ali.Q8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

Well after about 60 dives with the Mares Dragon AT, I am considering a move to something that will carry me further into the scuba world. I have asked many divers and read alot of articles. unfortunately I am not able to try someone's backplate/wing BCs but will rely on all the information I was able to gather.

You all may have read this over and over in this forum and I deliberately skipped searching the forum passed the first page as new products may have been released and tested and have advantages over others.

What is obvious to me are OMS, Dive-rite, and poseidon bp/wings.

My target? an overall BC that can be customized to whatever challenges I take when advancing into the scuba world.

Though I am not by any means relying on manufacturer's websites and how they describe their BCs to be the Best, the Poseidon Besea seems somewhat appealing.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

I weigh about 68kg.

I spent a lot of time making the change and found the Hammerhead Plate and Oxycheq Mach V single tank wing and basic Hog harness worked great for my diving. If and when I decide to go to doubles I'll pick up a doubles wing.

Bob
---------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape

I LOVE my DeepSeaSupply BP.

There are lots of really good BP/Ws out there. There are also a lot of good BCs. The Mares Dragon happens to be (IMHO) a rather good BC, though I'm not wild about the Air Trim thingie. What is it that you want to be able to do that the BC is keeping you from doing except garnering the admiration of your friends and the love of beautiful women?

When you can define clearly what it is that the BC prevents you from doing, then you're on the path to answering the question you pose ... because nothing can ever be customized to all challenges.

I'm in noway trying to showoff using my diving gear nor trying to impress girls. I'm currently advancing in specialities and at somepoint would like to go technical . There's no harm in buying a bc that would be useful for such target and get used to it at an early stage

I was being facetious, but the reality is that the type of BC or BC/w does not make the diver, the diver makes the diver. A capable diver is as capable in a BC, a BC/w or, for that matter, a horse collar.

I do totally agree and have been focusing on developing skills mostly on my own rather than collect licenses.. but do you imagine trying to modify my current BC to accomodate a twin for example?

Here's part of the deal.....

When you say advancing into technical diving that often includes doubles. There is no wing that is really good for doubles and singles so for now you'd have a big wing wrapped around your single like a soft taco. That will mean extra drag and it will be funky to vent. In all likelihood there will still be room in your life for singles diving so you need something for that. At least one comes to mind that claims to do both but I have friends that clearly found it to be a compromise and ended up replacing them.

In other words if you get one now it will be a compromise and / or you will end up reinvesting to go technical. Most divers that go that route end up with complete rigs in each configuration to avoid perpetually re-rigging.

I totally subscribe to the sentiment Thalassamania expressed, "the BC does not make the diver", but will add that the BC must fit the diver.

Being in your early stages I would milk that dragon for all that it's worth. Going technical is not just a next class thing. You really should gain a body of experience simply diving and having a good time. You have made your investment and with <25 dives I would not be burning brain cells about doubles and the places they can take you..

Pete

I do totally agree and have been focusing on developing skills mostly on my own rather than collect licenses.. but do you imagine trying to modify my current BC to accomodate a twin for example?

Although, I applaud your learning there's only so much you can learn on your own. If you're going to try doubles etc, it would be advisable to get some formal training as there is a lot of technical knowledge that would be difficult to master on your own.

I did my technical training using a bp/w n if you want to use it for regular rec diving and doubles you'll need 2 wings.

As for adapting the Mares Dragon AT to use doubles, I don't think it would be possible as it doesn't seem to have the attachment points.

I just got some stuff from caveadventurers.com and they are great!

Drop them an email at caveadventurers@hotmail.com n they'll help you get the right setup for your diving.

SangP

Back
Top Bottom