Post dive irregular heart rhythm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingFirefighter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dr. Deco,

About a week ago I was on a rescue dive. We were on a tow sled (very little physical exertion) our max depth was 58' but varied through out the pattern between 44' and 58'. Upon post dive medical monitoring, I had a BP of like 142/90 and the EMT found that I had an irregular heart rhythm, when put on a 12-Lead EKG I had normal sinus tach with PVC approx. once every 4 to 5 mins. Could this be a result of the physiology to do with the dive or more directly to do with the exertion in general?

Hi:

I doubt that this is the result of a dive but rather of exertion. I will wait for a physician to comment further on this medical issue.

I am not a physician (nor do I play one on TV, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night...). I am an ER/Flight nurse with a pretty fair grounding in cardiology. I'm sure any of the physicians who frequent this board will correct me if needed.

Keep in mind that PVC's can very well be described as 'normal abnormalities' by which I mean that virtually everybody has them, at least once in a while. And except in fairly unusual cases, they're harmless. What differs is sensation. Some people feel them all the time (which is very frightening, if you don't know what it is) while some never feel them (and only find out about them when they're on a monitor for some reason) and others feel them sometimes but not others. The frequency and noticability of PVCs can be affected by exertion, stress, or stimulants (i.e. caffiene). Normally, PVCs occuring less than 6 per minute are of little concern, although symptoms are more important than frequency.

Without a fairly detailed evaluation, not much can be said about your particular case. If it's worrisome or recurrent, or if you develop symtoms such as chest pain, difficulty breathing, feel dizzy or pass out, then you would certainly want to see your PCP and have a workup (possibly an event monitor, or stress echo).

I doubt this is dive related, but certainly exertion or adrenaline-related. The significance of the PVCs would be determined by your age and other cardiovascular risk factors. Normal, healthy young people can have PVCs without pathology (especially in the presence of cardiac stimulants like caffeine).

As a cardiologist, the importance of PVCs lies in the heart they come from and not from the PVCs themselves. As mentioned above, almost everyone will have PVCs from time to time. If they come from a structurally normal heart they mean nothing at all. The best thing to do is inform your physician and let him or her decide if any further evaluation is necessary.

Thanks to all for responding, I had suspected it was probably due to the exertion and not the dive, but wanted to check in with some people more knowledgeable and experienced then myself. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom