On becoming a Captain...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I am going to try out the Mariner's School and report on it here. It should be fun and enlightening.

There are 4 different Masters Licenses a mariner may qualify for such as the Master Inland or Master Near Coastal. Both the amount of sea service time and the size vessels you have been on will influence the license you are eligible for. Masters licenses are tonnage rated at 25 GT (gross tons), 50 GT, or 100 GT. The tonnage you are awarded is determined by the size vessels you've gained experience on in the last 3 years. You are not required to advance through the different licenses one at a time. If you meet the USCG requirements for the master 100GT Near Coastal, you'll get that license as your first license.

The 4 types of up to 100GT Masters licenses are listed below along with the requirements:

Master Inland: 360 days underway experience since age 15; 90 of those 360 days in the last 3 years. Completion of Mariners Learning System™ approved Course and Test.

Master Inland/OUPV: 360 days underway experience since age 15; 90 of those 360 days in the last 3 years; 90 of those 360 days outside the boundary lines. Completion of the Mariners Learning System™ Coast Guard approved Course.

Master Inland/Mate N.C.: 360 days underway experience since age 15; 90 days of those 360 days in the last 3 years; 180 of those 360 days outside the boundary lines. Completion of the Mariners Learning System™ Coast Guard approved Course.

Master Near Coastal: 720 days underway experience since age 15; 90 of those 720 days in the last 3 years; 360 of those 720 days outside the boundary lines. Completion of the Mariners Learning System™ Coast Guard approved Course.

I have a few questions about the sea service part. I'm sure I have the number of hours/days required, as I've owned and operated boats for most of the past 25 years. I've also participated in bareboat charters for weeks at a time, a number of day charters, as well as many days sailing with friends.

The boats I've owned include everything from 12' daysailors, to 16'-19' runabouts, to a 32' racing sloop. My current vessel is a 25' cabin cruiser that I've owned for five years. However, with the exception of my current boat, I'm not sure what paperwork I have kept around as proof of past ownership. What exactly is required for signing off on your own hours on vessels you no longer own?

Last edited:
To answer your question:

If your state is anything at all like the State of Florida, then the Department of Motor Vehicles has a record of the vehicles/boats/trailers you have owned.

If you can go to your local DMV and get proof of that prior ownership, all you need to do now is fill out your standard sea service form, with your dates on the water. Fill in the VIN numbers and the necessary information as well as your role on the boat (THE OWNER) attach those sea service forms, one for each boat, with the documentation that you owned those boats (the paperwork you got from the DMV) and voila! You have your documentation for the Coast Guard.

If your DMV doesn't have record of your ownership, you can use a copy of your old registration for the boat, a copy of your insurance for the boat, etc. for proof.

Good Luck

Just out of curiosity, what sort of license do you need to hire yourself out as a delivery captain, where you aren't taking on paid passengers, but are simply being paid to skipper someone else's boat from one place to another, with or without them on board?

Depends on the size of the boat. Are you being paid to operate the boat?

Question on the drug testing..... As long as I am prescribed medication by my doctor and provide proof I am okay, right? Or will they fail me for the drug test and not allow me to go forward until I am off of all narcotic medications?

Question on the drug testing..... As long as I am prescribed medication by my doctor and provide proof I am okay, right? Or will they fail me for the drug test and not allow me to go forward until I am off of all narcotic medications?

So long as you have a current prescription, you will not fail a drug test because of the medications you are on. You definitely should take your current prescriptions (bottle and all if you can) to the drug testing agency and ensure that they write down what medications you are taking.

It is a 5 panel test, they test for everything!

BTW, please ensure that the location you go to is offering a Coast Guard approved drug test. If not, you will be required to have it done over...

Seriously, go to the right Drug Tester, don't waste 80 bucks like I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom