Spiegel Grove charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
I am hoping some of you may be able to recommend a good dive charter operator in keys that will do an all day Spiegel Grove dive. Given it's such a large wreck, was hoping some of operators would do a 3 dive charter. (two in AM, long surface interval/lunch) and 3rd dive in afternoon.

Also, I'm looking for any recommendations on near by hotels near where charters leave from.

I'm looking to dive Fri 16th.

I appreciate any help.

Reefseal

reefseal:
I am hoping some of you may be able to recommend a good dive charter operator in keys that will do an all day Spiegel Grove dive. Given it's such a large wreck, was hoping some of operators would do a 3 dive charter.
YOU are going to have a blast, and I'm envious. That would be an awesome day. I've never even considered it because as you know it's DEEP. You are right - one dive on the Grove per trip isn't enough, but then again, I love the reefs as well so I've never thought of just focusing on the Grove.

From what I've gathered, there are no bad ops down there. Everybody seems to have their preferences, so you probably can't go wrong. It's just going to be difficult arranging your special charter is all.

Island Venture is a lot of fun... small boat, very accessable and the Sundowner is right next door for highly recommended chow and vistas of the sanctuary... excellent sunset dinners. There's also a Mexican restaurant next door that's hit-or-miss; I've had great, and I've had not-so-great at Senior <somebody or othe>.

TALK to the owner of Island Venture (Gary?) about your idea because I've found he's very accomodating. He's dropped us upcurrent and picked us up down current on the Grove before, for example.
http://www.islandventure.com/
Phone: (305)451-4957 * Toll Free: (866)293-5006

My thinking is that you'll probably end up doing a 4 dive day, two trips of 1-wreck and 1-reef each. We don't ususally just sit around out on the water for surface intervals here because everything is so close. That's why dive charters are half day rather than full day like elsewhere.

BTW, some want to see an advanced card before turning you lose on the Grove - especially maybe in your case. They've never asked me for mine, but I hear it all the time from other divers.

Here's a nice list of dive ops & shops in the area
http://www.fla-keys.com/listing.cfm?id=71

I'm not sure if there is an operation that will do an all day trip to the Grove, but there might be. I've done it 7 times and it can get to be a proverbial traffic jam there, to the point that we've even been live-dropped near a buoy because it's too much of a popular dive site. I believe there is a "gentlemen's agreement" among the captains there to not monopolize the buoys (I think there are only 5).

I always dive with Capt. Brian at Island Treasures because they're less expensive than anyone else and because they'll do just about anything you want them to do....
Check them out... www.islandventures.com

Don't know how fancy you want to get, but the Neptune Hideaway is very close to Brian's boat, and so is the Marriott (they have their own on-site operator, It's a Dive).

Semper Safe,

Rick

I dove with Amy Slates in December. They have a very nice boat, rather large though. There weren't too many people on it so there was LOTS of room. I wouldn't go with them if they were crowded though. Friendly crew. I think if you want something special like a three tank on the grove you better go somewhere else though. They seem to be set in their ways a little too much for my taste.

Good Luck, wish I was going!

This is all good info!!! Thanks. Yes, I have my AOW. I recall reading that charter operators require AOW due to depth. You bring up a good idea.. Dive couple dives in AM charter and go out again in afternoon for a third. (and 4th if profile will allow)

Can't get over how low your charter prices are. I guess because have more divers. Here in New England, spend $65-75 for two tank dive without tanks/weights.

island ventures and divers city in tavernier are in my opinion, the best dive charters in the upper keys. both offer flexible dive profiles; multiple deep dives etc. stay away from the larger outfits(amy slate, ocean divers, paradise, atlantis dive center to name a few) as you'll only dive the grove once followed by a reef dive of 30ft or shallower.
when i elect to leave my dive boat at the dock, island ventures(brian) and divers city(barbara) are the only charters i dive with. also give great nitrox fills,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Right on reefman

The Grove is an excemplary dive, but it can also be tricky. Currents can be strong (as much as 1 - 2 knots), and you may find yourself hanging like a flag at your safety stop, as well as getting bounced up and down due to high surge.

I say tricky because you have to swim back to your original buoy (lest you surface staring at the wrong boat), and this can be complicated by the everchanging currents. I'ts important to have good orientation and not try to see too much too soon. Also, keep an eye on your SI

Semper Safe,

Rick

I did a 2 tank dive on the Grove on Feb 7, 2004. Went with TAVERNIER DIVE CENTER. We had a 6 person group along with a couple of other divers. Was originally scheduled as Grove & a reef dive. We talked to captain (Scott I think) and it was OK with him that we switched to a 2 tanker on the Grove. I'm 99% sure there are 7 mooring balls on the Grove. We had the BOW ball, which you had to drop to 100 feet to get to where it connected to ball. PORT side of ship is at about 52 feet at its widest. ALL 7 (mooring balls) WERE FULL WHEN WE WERE THERE. It is a LONG boat ride from TDC, about an hour & half. Sure you can find shops closer. Try SLATE'S ATLANTIS at 106mm. TDC is a great operation, but would be more convenient for EAGLE or DUANE/BIBB wrecks - not so long of a ride!

I have not heard of any doing a 3 tank dive on the Grove. Might be hard to find due to depths.

Have fun. It is a GREAT DIVE. TONS of fish, both BIG and small on the wreck.

MIKE

I cannot report anything about the above recommendations. However I would like to throw in my 2 cents. Look up Conch Republic Divers. Gary and Brenda have been very good to me and the ones that I have taken diving. Check them out...they are flexible regarding your diving desires. I have done a two tank trip to the Spiegel with them. And yes as far as numerous deep dives they have been very accommodating for my profiles. They were ok with me doing 3 dives on their boat...the dive that they agreed to was the following....

Spiegel then the Bibb followed by a night dive on the Duane. We cancelled the extended dive due to water temp. We chose to hit just 2 dives. I hope this helps....they are a great little outfit...progressing themselves toward getting outfitted for future tech divers. (Trimix and such). Feel free to check them out.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom