Organizing my purchase of a BPW system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgoodstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am a new NAUI OW diver. I am registered for my AOW ( or whatever they call it) and am working towards rescue diver for some work assignments I have coming up (photographer). I have read the GUE DIR Fundamentals book as advised by my instructor and feel that a back plate wing config would be the best option for me and my goals.

I'm looking at getting it from Cave Adventurers and Leisurepro as they seem to have great prices on this stuff. Here's what I think I need:

Steel Backplate (Dive rite knock off) ($75 at CA)
Dive Rite Transplate Harness ($99 @ leisure Pro)
Dive Rite Cam Straps (set of 2) ($41 @ Leisure Pro)
Dive Rite Rec wing (50lbs lift used for single or double tanks) ($205 @ Leisure Pro)

Do i need any other important pieces? I was thinking about a back pad but not quite sure yet. I also thought of weight to reduce the weight in my weight belt would be a good idea, the one that goes into the channel on the backplate but could not find it on either site.

I just want to make sure that I don't forget any necessary parts or pieces as I don't think the wife will let me back into the coffers for a while :no: after this purchase

I would recommend the simple HOG harness and a 30-40 lb. single-tank wing.

Based upon your requirements I would recomend either Halcyon or Oxycheq as both have back plates which accomendate storage packs for your SMB. Great way to avoid a danglie. I would go with a steel plate for 3mm -5mm wetsuit usage and an AL plate if you reduce your exposure protction down to a skin in the warmer months. Good luck!

OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment

Extreme Exposure - Home | Extreme Exposure

I was going to get the DR Rec wing (so that I could use it for singles and doubles) but MANY divers told me that the Rec wing trapped air (i.e., it was too big) when used with singles, and that any lift bladder designed for singles and doubles does neither very well. I eventually went for: BackPlate and Wing Package reviews and discounts, Dive Rite , which is a really sweet price. I should have ordered one or two sex bolts and two extra d-rings with retainer clips. If you don't already have snap bolts, order at least as many of them as you have pieces of gear to secure. If you don't already have cave line, you might want to get some as it is useful in securing your gear to the snap bolts. Bungee cord, cable-ties, and a lighter will enable you to add loops to help secure a flashlight.

I am 6' tall and used to dive a 24# lift bladder with a full 7mm two-piece wetsuit -
it was just enough, so long as I was careful not to overweight myself. The oxycheq wing has 30# lift, which should do nicely.

PS - the rig arrived and looks nice. Haven't had a chance to dive it yet.

PSS - if ordering from ScobaToys.com, mention in the "comments" section your SB user ID and you will get an additional 10% off.

I am a new NAUI OW diver. I am registered for my AOW ( or whatever they call it) and am working towards rescue diver for some work assignments I have coming up (photographer). I have read the GUE DIR Fundamentals book as advised by my instructor and feel that a back plate wing config would be the best option for me and my goals.

I'm looking at getting it from Cave Adventurers and Leisurepro as they seem to have great prices on this stuff. Here's what I think I need:

Steel Backplate (Dive rite knock off) ($75 at CA)
Dive Rite Transplate Harness ($99 @ leisure Pro)
Dive Rite Cam Straps (set of 2) ($41 @ Leisure Pro)
Dive Rite Rec wing (50lbs lift used for single or double tanks) ($205 @ Leisure Pro)

Do i need any other important pieces? I was thinking about a back pad but not quite sure yet. I also thought of weight to reduce the weight in my weight belt would be a good idea, the one that goes into the channel on the backplate but could not find it on either site.

I just want to make sure that I don't forget any necessary parts or pieces as I don't think the wife will let me back into the coffers for a while :no: after this purchase

And what exactly are your diving goals and how does gue/dir fit into it?

SangP

And what exactly are your diving goals and how does gue/dir fit into it?

SangP

Personal goals are to gain a self mastery of Scuba, to be comfortable in most scenarios. Professionally I am a photographer that works with local marine biology and biology schools and text book publishers. I have new requests for jobs in Africa, Galapagos, and even some Florida caves. I need to be ready for all of these areas. I am in talks to do some filming of whales as well. My first underwater job is 16 months out currently.

I am versing myself in every technique and skill available. I Got NAUI, have read through all of the PADI books, and now read through the GUE books as well. In order to be ready to go on these work trips they expect me to be Safety diver minimum. I prefer to be trained for all scenarios that I must dive prior to diving them. I am a education NUT, I love reading and seeing as much as I can, the more knowledge I have the better my chances for success. Add to that, I plan to do a lot of diving over the next 16 months.. I should be able to be comfortable by work time.

For rec I will be diving out of south Florida and the keys. For rec stuff I will be just like the normal folks, a little reef, some wall, and perhaps some wreck diving. For work, I need to be efficient, will be taking cameras and lighting gear and extra equipment as needed.

Sorry its long winded.. but wanted to give you a good scope of why I am choosing what I am choosing.

For work, I need to be efficient, will be taking cameras and lighting gear and extra equipment as needed.

You are a big boy and can set your own limits. However, before hauling lots of photography gear underwater you might want to burn through quite a few tanks, say, practicing with a P&S camera.

Just a thought. Do as you will.

You are a big boy and can set your own limits. However, before hauling lots of photography gear underwater you might want to burn through quite a few tanks, say, practicing with a P&S camera.

Just a thought. Do as you will.

I'm picking up a P & S with external flash, and have ordered the stuff for my more professional gear. I think your advice is very sound.

Personal goals are to gain a self mastery of Scuba, to be comfortable in most scenarios.
I have new requests for jobs in some Florida caves.
I need to be ready for all of these areas.
My first underwater job is 16 months out currently.

I am versing myself in every technique and skill available.
I prefer to be trained for all scenarios that I must dive prior to diving them.
the better my chances for success.

Add to that, I plan to do a lot of diving

kudos on reading and planning on diving a lot. For me this would have been a very aggressive plan, but alas I don't live in Florida...

Presume in addition to diving and reading you plan on taking many more classes (Cavern & Cave, rescue, etc)?

The classes may have an end result in steering how fast you progress.

"chance of success" with some of what you note is could be a scary statement, as the potential opposite of success is well ummm not good.

On the original question. I too would side on the one wing for singles; one wing for doubles. You can probably do very well $ wise by purchasing from someone local and all at the same time. Being in Florida your options should be astounding. Can't imagine many needs to mail order but I could be wrong.

I fondly recall when I first was exposed to the GUE literature and was reading everything in site. Quickly set my goals etc. Upon taking the first fundies class I even more so quickly decided that I better pause and really learn about this diving thing.

With all gear, I like to suggest "try before you buy". :D Shouldn't be too much of an issue down there.

Dave

Your 'bits and pieces' prices aren't sufficiently low to make it worth the hassle. If you go to www.deepseasupply.com you can get a complete 'top-of-the-line' BP/W with either the stainless or aluminum backplate. For cold water and a 7mm wetsuit, 30# of lift is adequate. It could be somewhat less for warm water.

You don't want to get rid of all of your ditchable weight (in my opinion) so you should work out your plate selection and thermal protection such that you still have a few pounds ditchable. Tank selection is part of the equation.

For example, you need to carry 6# more weight with an Aluminum 80 than with a High Pressure (HP) 100. For T-shirt diving, the HP 100 might be too negative because, in a perfect world, you can float on the surface with a blown wing by simply dropping your weights. In the T-shirt scenario, you won't have any ditchable weight and the tank is always negative.

Best thing to do is talk to Tobin at Deep Sea Supply.

As you will be diving for pay, equipment cost should be tax deductible and, therefore, you should be less sensitive to initial price than the average recreational diver. Might as well get the best...

This suggestion may seem odd but... Look around over in the Vintage Divers forum here on SB. These guys are using old double hose regulators. They are readily available from Vintage Scuba - Vintage Scuba Diving - Vintage Scuba Gear - vintagedoublehose.com (among other places). Many photographers are using these old regulators as well as some of the side exhaust regs like the Oceanic Omega II (out of production) and the Poseidon regs. The big advantage is that you "Keep Your Bubbles Behind You" or at least out of your face.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom