Yo Cal - So Cal... Lets Dive Again! (Sat 3/13)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud:
How many dives are you guys planning?

There is no OCal beach dive schlep worth just one tank.

I'm bringing two.

K

Hey guys,
I checked the tide tables for the 13th it looks like you will have a low tide of 0.2 at 9:28. The best time to dive TI is at high tide, but that is at around 3:00a.m. But since a .2 is a pretty mellow low tide you might have okay conditions. The best place to enter at low tide would be the beach on the east side of the reef directly in front of the first set of stairs. If conditions are calm it is a real nice dive around to the outside of the reef in about 15-20 fsw. As you make your way around to the west cove, there is lots of cool stuff to see and a nice overhang to swim through as you make your wayto the west cove but be sure to stay out of the channel that heads back towards the sand (it's great for exits during high tide) it gets real rough during a low tide. Once you get around the east reef, it gets pretty Sahara like with lots of sand and little life or color. If you follow the reef on your right it gets real shallow very quick, so you can suffer through the desert to the far west reef and either go on the outside or follow it in to the beach where the far stairs are (the shower is at the top of the stairs.) Dont try to exit on the far west beach during high surf. My buddy got tossed up on the sand a month ago and was peeing blood for 2 weeks!
I wont be able to make that day, as my alloted Sunday is on the 7th and I have to wait two more weeks before I can get wet again. Wife's rule #1.
Have a good dive and I will fill Melvin in on more specifics on the 7th.

Hi Everyone,

I will join you if I can get a babysitter. Kids go back to their Dad on Sunday. Or, I can have them tag along as spotters. They might like that too. I just bought a second tank, so I am in for 'at least' two dives!!! The more, the better.

Regards,

Jan

I plan on joining the group on either the 13th or the 14th. During the last 5 months I've been diving to the Montage about once a month. There are a number of entries depending on the wave conditions. I normally enter into the Cove and work my way east around the rocks. Basically the reverse of Robert. I'm surprised I haven't passed him in the water.

If there are no waves the west side of Goff Island (The large rock) is a great dive. Alot of crevices and holes to explore, maybe find a bug. You then work your way around and into the cove.

The cove is sheltered from north west waves and swell. The waves in the cove generally do not break onto shore but just roll up the beach. There is also an interesting stride entry from the rocks on the east side of the cove, but low tide may make it hazzardous due to the shallow water.

The overhang was spooky last fall during the red tide. Viz was so bad I didn't know I was in the overhang until I saw the rock 5 feet in fromt of me and then saw the ceiling.

I'll see everybody on the 13th.

Hey everyone,
Well I am fairly sure I can make it on the 13th. It does look good at this point. It will be great to finally meet some of you. It look like I missed a good time over at the dive park. I didn't see if anyone has mentioned a meeting time. I'm excited to do an actual dive at TI. The last time I was there the vis was about 2 ft max. It was for the underwater cleanup so we stayed in for 15 minutes. After realising we could not see anything-fish or trash-it was thumbs. I have heard great things but want to see for meself!!
Christopher

Sounds like things are going in place. I will talk with the wife to see if she wants to head south for the shore dives instead of heading over to Catalina. She is off Friday and Saturday and we are taking about going over Friday and do a couple of dives, stay overnight and do a few more Saturday.

Just a real stupid question from the Midwest - what is the water temperature right now? (I might get to visit in about a month and am wondering if it is worth packing the gear)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom