pre fundies tips tricks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How close are you to Bon Terre Mine?

I am about 2 hours from the mine. I actually did my OW at the mine and have made several dives there. They are all guided dives, no exploring on your own. It's an interesting dive if you don't mind a group and the fee (they don't let you in for free).

Its a common saying in the military, along with "go slow to go fast".

Probably has a long history in one form or another.

In motorcycle riding and various racing schools it's been taught for a long time as a driver/rider needs to have absolutely polished basic control before attempting advanced driving techniques. I've met a lot of "fast" drivers who were absolutely not smooth, whereas my fastest times come when I'm relaxed and concentrating on being "smooth."

First time I heard it in the military, we were learning to clear buildings of bad guys.

Peace,
Greg

First time I heard it in the military, we were learning to clear buildings of bad guys.

I'll bet there was a similar saying back when infantry was loading muskets...

I'll bet there was a similar saying back when infantry was loading muskets...

I'll ask one of the guys in my platoon tomorrow, he's been around since George Washington crossed the Potomac :wink: .

Peace,
Greg

One tip I'd pass along is for when you're doing your valve drill. Since the center valve is right behind you're head you can sometimes over-think and forget which direction is closed, especially when your buddy does something to distract you while you're in the middle of opening or closing the valve.

If you think "lefty-loosey-longhose" you'll remember that to open the valve you turn it toward your longhose (your right shoulder) and to close it turns away from your longhose (the left shoulder).

One tip I'd pass along is for when you're doing your valve drill. Since the center valve is right behind you're head you can sometimes over-think and forget which direction is closed, especially when your buddy does something to distract you while you're in the middle of opening or closing the valve.

If you think "lefty-loosey-longhose" you'll remember that to open the valve you turn it toward your longhose (your right shoulder) and to close it turns away from your longhose (the left shoulder).

I am so used to "lefty-loosey-Righty-tighty" that your "lefty-loosey-longhose" is just a natural progression.

Big thanks for that - will add it to my "way to remember things" list! :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom