Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all I know is on Saturday I did 3 dives in a 3mm no hood or gloves which was fine above the thermocline but chilly over the edge.

Dove Vista point today and was utterly amazed that NO One was at the site when I arrived at 9:30 a.m. And yea, dyvfiend, the shallows are warm at 70F; so a 3mm is fine above the thermocline. But the vis was terrible in the shallows, whether due to the wind and all the recent activity. Below the first thermocline (approx 31 feet) the temps drop into the 60's and below 60 feet its 54F. Under the thermocline the vis is 20 feet but very dark. Bring a light. Also, under 85 feet there is are clouds of silt. See you tomorrow anyone who will be at VP.

PD

Spent the last two days at Vista Point diving alongside my daughter who completed her Advanced Diver Cert with John Flanders, Academy of Scuba. First I have to say that my daughter, who is 15, had an awesome experience and no doubt will be doing more future certs with Flanders. Hats off and thanks, John for such a great experience.

The conditions in the lake are rough. Today the vis in the shallows was a little better than yesterday-maybe five feet in the shallows. There are multiple thermoclines and weird striations in the material. The vis is much better under 47 feet.

The surface temps are low 80s, in the shallows I had 74 suunto degrees. So if you are diving shallow you can be in the lighter suits. Yesterday my daughter was in a 5mm and was cold by the third dive. I was in a 7mm and warm throughout.

PD

Just wanted to share with you a short video which I took on the lake in June 13th:
http://users.tapuz.co.il/diving/upload/giladshay-13.6.10.wmv
Notice that the link is on a temporary server (thanks to Tapuz).
Sorry about the quality, but hope you'll enjoy it.

More details
Buddy: John.
Place: Beismare Point (I know I spelled it incorrect, sorry).
Depth: 12.2[m] max (~40[f]).
Termocline: 9-9.5[m] (~30-31[f]).
Temp: above the termocline 22-23[c] (~72-73[f]). Below stopped at 20[c] (68[f]).
Vis: ~3[m] (~10[f]).
Time: 58 [min].

Just wanted to share with you a short video which I took on the lake in June 13th:
Notice that the link is on a temporary server (thanks to Tapuz).
Sorry about the quality, but hope you'll enjoy it.

More details
Buddy: John.
Place: Beismare Point (I know I spelled it incorrect, sorry).
Depth: 12.2[m] max (~40[f]).
Termocline: 9-9.5[m] (~30-31[f]).
Temp: above the termocline 22-23[c] (~72-73[f]). Below stopped at 20[c] (68[f]).
Vis: ~3[m] (~10[f]).
Time: 58 [min].

Not so sure if the link works, so I added it again, just to make sure:

Hey people,

The vis at the lake is finally opening up. Today, we found the surface temps in the lite 80s and the vis was 20-30 feet in the shallows at Vista Point. There is a thermocline at 24 feet where the vis drops somewhat but opens deeper. Although we used lights following the rail to the treasure chest, you don't need them. There is more light in the deeps than I've seen in months. At 93 feet the temp was 57F suunto. In the shallows we played with the fish and caught crayfish. Hit it people, the conditions are awesome. If you stay shallow a 3mm is in.

PD

A friend aquired a pontoon boat and is in the process of fixing it up. He says it pretty humble right now but I'll vouch that humility is definately a good thing. Hey. It's got a motor, tank rack and a few seats. What more can a dive junkie ask for?

We've taken it out a few times. Saturday we took it out somewhere in the vicinity of the 1702 wall and had a really good time. Two of us were fully geared up to go below the thermocline; the other two weren't. The vis was pretty good above 25 feet. You could look up and see the surface from that depth. The walls start to close in below that and the vis went away pretty fast until we dropped down to about 40 feet (where the muscles start) Vis opens up again to better than 20 feet unless you swim through a whisp of whatever the whispy stuff down there is made of. Alge? Silt?

The temperature changes were highlighted by cloudy layers of silt. There were definate bands of zero vis a few feet thick with bands of relatively good vis above and below.

Temp at the surface is 78+ degrees so this was my last weekend of the summer diving in a 7mm. Saturday I had to drop down below the thermocline and tug at my collar to pump some cool water through my 7mm sauna suit. I felt like I was boiling in the heavy wetsuit. Time to drag out the 3mm.

At 65 feet it was 60 degrees so if you've a mind to go deep a 7mm wetsuit, hood and 5mm gloves is still recommended. I haven't printed out my dive profile but if memory serves it remained pretty balmy (78 degrees) down to about 25 feet. Temp cooled a few degrees between 25 and 35 feet. The drastic drop was below 45 feet where the temp drops below 68 degrees and fast.

We saw a ton of fish. Large schools of bass fry cruising just above the first thermocline. We saw several good sized bass and carp too. One or two 18"+ catfish meandering (when they weren't trying to hide from us) like they owned the place. A bluegill came out of it's hiding place and stopped about an inch from my nose before darting back.

I'm looking forward to staying shallow for a while; playing with the small fry and watching the lake drain down. Makes for some nice long relaxing dives.

A couple of times it seemed like the schools of bass or stripers were swimming with us. They stayed with us for several minutes on two dives in the same area.

The third dive we decided to try the far north side of the Waddell Cove area. Not recommended. The boat traffic was picking up by then and stirring up the silt. Never found better than 5 or 6 foot vis.

And yes, Virginia, we hoisted a dive flag. Not only that but we also set out a float with a dive flag on it. Not that I'm trying to start something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom